Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Training tip: I just figured something out...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training tip: I just figured something out...

Head movement is extremely important in boxing. It allows you to find angles, keeps your opponent off balance by guessing what you're doing, a moving target is better than a stationary target, and it's a good tactic for defense.

Usually moving my head requires a lot of energy and effort. BUT i figured something out last night.

I'm going to use my back foot as a spring to move my head. That way my front base is solid and i have balance. On top of that, with my back leg moving up and down, like a spring, it will allow me to push off with the ball of my foot. Plus, i'll be able to pivot and swing around. I'll also be able to sit down on my shots and add some power.

Last night i was working on weaving and moving my head while i was shadow boxing. I was thinking about Pacquiao how he keep his head moving against DLH. Like a fcukin shark. Then it just clicked.

Hopefully i'll apply this to sparring. As long as i keep my head moving, moving my angles, keeping my hands up and jabbing the fcuk out of my opponent, that will give me enough time to think and react and stay calm.

Then i'll be able to scrape together an artistic piece of work.

I don't know if I've understood everything correctly but head-moves, legs-moves, hands-moves, body-moves are basics of boxing in my country. On my first training my coach has shown me how to throw a left jab, how to take a good position, how to move your head, legs etc. We've got something like a rule when you throw left jab you move your head into right and you cover your right by a glove and cover your left side of face by the arm.

Don't you have a coach there? He should show you how to make basic moves.

Comment

Yeah head movement is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. I love matches where my opponent fails to do so, it makes hitting him just like hitting the double end bag . OP, what gym do you train out of? I'm moving south to SF this summer and am looking for a gym. I've seen the Straight Forward Club around at some events with some good looking fighters, so 've been thinking about training there.

Comment

I am so jealous ;( I would like to live in the U.S. and train in the real gym. You've got everything there, good heavybags, rings, mirrors etc. etc. It is all about the money Grrr... We don't have even good protective gear so nobody use it. I am going to buy my own protective gear, my own mitts and shields... and of course jump-rope. Then I can train for real.

Have you got any photos of your gyms?

Comment

Cus D'amato always told his fighters that it's always important to try to be elusive and after i throw a punch or combination at the bag i always try to to do something defensive whether it's move my hands or pivot. glad you found a method that works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by FM3O View Post
            Yeah head movement is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. I love matches where my opponent fails to do so, it makes hitting him just like hitting the double end bag . OP, what gym do you train out of? I'm moving south to SF this summer and am looking for a gym. I've seen the Straight Forward Club around at some events with some good looking fighters, so 've been thinking about training there.
            A ninja doesn't reveal his identity. I'll tell you, it's not in SF. I've heard 3rd street is good, str8 forward is aiite. Titanium is another one i've heard about.

To the Polish guy, of course i have trainers. But figuring stuff out for yourself is another aspect of the fight game that i firmly believe in. You take your coaches advice, plus experience, and figuring things out....on top of heavy ass training, you'll be aiite.

Comment

need to move whole upper body not just head movement, originates from waist. Without seeing a video its hard to visualise what you are saying without thinking of a pogo stick or that boxing kangaroo cartoon from way back

Comment

yeah head movement is the ****

i havent used it much in my fights so far but now im gettign bettewr and in sparring im getting better at anticipating the punch they will throw, and slipping or weaving under it

now im working on counter attacking more often after i slip or weave, because sometimes i just move away after slipping a punch, i need to stay in range and counter more

Comment

i like to swing back and forth hopping almost because it makes it more fluid and its easier for m e to punch that way

Comment

Originally posted by Squabbles94806 View Post
                    A ninja doesn't reveal his identity. I'll tell you, it's not in SF. I've heard 3rd street is good, str8 forward is aiite. Titanium is another one i've heard about.

To the Polish guy, of course i have trainers. But figuring stuff out for yourself is another aspect of the fight game that i firmly believe in. You take your coaches advice, plus experience, and figuring things out....on top of heavy ass training, you'll be aiite.
                    3rd Street and Titanium are owned by the same guys. Membership at one allows you to train at both.

Titanium is in lower Nob Hill and 3rd Street is in Dog Patch-Potrero Hill.

Comment

Working...
                    X