• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When were Robinsons prime years?

Just wondering the years when the experts in here thought SRR's prime was

Originally posted by kendom View Post
    Just wondering the years when the experts in here thought SRR's prime was
    Don't profess to be an expert but certainly his Welter years, say the 40s pretty much all of them!

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
      Don't profess to be an expert but certainly his Welter years, say the 40s pretty much all of them!
      Well he went unbeaten from 26/2/1943 to 10/7/1951 winning 91 fights against the likes of Zivic, Armstrong, LaMotta, Gavilan, , Agnott. He made the transition from Welterweight to Middleweight at about 1950.

In his unbeaten run his start loss was against Jake LaMotta and Robinson was heavily outweighed as Robinson was a WW and LaMotta a MW anyway Robinson went on to avenge this 5 times some in his unbeaten run. His unbeaten runw as ended by Turpin in a huge upset which Robinson later avenged.

Take this data how you will but, it's quite hard to establish prime years ie: 2 or 3 years when you unbeaten for 8 and there's not a lot of film to compare performances.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
        I'd agree with this.

The 40's, most probably.

Comment

Thanks for the answers but I mean like what time period during the 40s. Like 1945-1950? perhaps I heard that Robinson had some bad habits in fights during his younger years, like laying on he ropes

Comment

Originally posted by kendom View Post
            Thanks for the answers but I mean like what time period during the 40s. Like 1945-1950? perhaps I heard that Robinson had some bad habits in fights during his younger years, like laying on he ropes
            I'd say 45-49. Beating a near prime* Kid Gavilan x2 once for the WW title, beat Jake LaMotta x2, Sammy Agnott, and made all of his Welterweight title defences in this period.

*Inbetween his 2 losses to Robinson, Gavilan had beaten Ike Williams twice and later went on to win the Welterweight title back, so he was very much a live opponent.

Comment

Sadly (and criminally) there is no films of Robinson's welterweight fights that I've come across. But ringside reports seem to indicate that he was best in the mid to late 40s.

The were so many great performances at middleweight years later, that we can only imagine how good a younger, lighter, faster version might have been.

Comment

Working...
              X