Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Ricky Hatton a bum? Where do you rate him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lil chico 112 View Post
    i wouldnt call him a bum. i would say he's average. he was hyped up by people and feed average fighters. he has a huge fan base. so they set him up for stardom. as soon as he stepped up to elite comp he was exposed. he's an ok fighter. ok fighters do win championships by the way so dont use that he won world titles crap.
    I am not a Huge Hatton fan...but call him just an "OK fighter" is dubious IMO ! And "ok fighters" Dont reach his level and do as well IMO !
    Nore financially for that matter

Comment

It should have been Manager of the Year.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuurzhaelan View Post
        It should have been Manager of the Year.
        it wasnt the manager that fought Kosta was it?
        Then again i would of loved to see Frank warren in there

Comment

Originally posted by Mrpedigree View Post
          I am not a Huge Hatton fan...but call him just an "OK fighter" is dubious IMO ! And "ok fighters" Dont reach his level and do as well IMO !
          Nore financially for that matter
          what exactly is his level. 2 titles in 2 divisions? which was a close fight with louie but a lot of people including myself believe he lost. back then the UK had very little to brag about as far as boxing. so they saw ricky as a guy to follow. so they padded his record. he got a huge fan base and made a lot of money TRUE but skill wise he is very limited and very average

Comment

what exactly is his level. 2 titles in 2 divisions? which was a close fight with louie but a lot of people including myself believe he lost. back then the UK had very little to brag about as far as boxing. so they saw ricky as a guy to follow. so they padded his record. he got a huge fan base and made a lot of money TRUE but skill wise he is very limited and very average
            I know what your saying buddy ...but dont you think for a such a limited fighter he achieved quite a lot? for his skill set I think he did !
            The way i would describe him...is an above average champion who only lost to the very best ....he didnt really duck anyone ether witch is more than can be said about a lot of other champions now days !

Comment

Originally posted by BoxCleva View Post
              I've talked to a few people and seen a number of posts saying Ricky Hatton was always a bum and only got to the level he reached because of his overwhelming (perhaps uninformed) fan support. He was, and probably still is, a star attraction of our sport but evaluating an individual for his own merits as boxer should not include the amount of revenue that individual can bring to the table as a result of his fan support.

If Hatton wasn't half as popular among fans, would he ever have had the opportunity to even face Mayweather or Pacquiao? Where do you rate Hatton as a boxer, not only since the Pacquiao KO but considering his career as a whole?

Is he a

1. Bum (C class fighter): because he lacks many core boxing skills
              2. Average Boxer (B) with average boxing ability
              3. Excellent Boxer (A) with above average boxing skills.
              4. Elite Boxer (A+ Class), he's the cream of the crop.
              hatton is an excellent boxer, but he's not elite and he's better than average.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATANO MAN! View Post
                He isn't a bum, pretty good fighter. I do believe the drinking, blowing up 30-40 lbs fucked his career up a little.
                got you, so he's a fat bum then...

Comment

glorified club fighter. poor man's version of arturo gatti. minus the exciting style.

Comment

i wouldnt call him a bum. i would say he's average. he was hyped up by people and feed average fighters. he has a huge fan base. so they set him up for stardom. as soon as he stepped up to elite comp he was exposed. he's an ok fighter. ok fighters do win championships by the way so dont use that he won world titles crap.
                    kostya tszyu was p4p number 2 when hatton beat him. so does that make every boxer ranked below just ok?!

Comment

2 titles? its actually 4 not including IBO and ring magazine. 2x IBF junior welterweight champion, won WBA light welterweight and won the WBA welterweight.

Comment

Working...
                      X