Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets name boxing rivalry that end up in a much friendlier terms.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eurochamp View Post
    Heard Barerra and Morales were friendly now,Holyfield and Bowe also became friendly
    I dont think thats possible. LOL

thats like the israel and palestine of the boxing world.

Comment

This is Roberto Duran visiting his fierce rival Esteban DeJesus in hospital, DeJesus has AIDS at this point.

Duran walked into his room and kissed him.

Comment

Wilfredo Gomez attended Salvador Sanchez's funeral and if I'm not mistaking he still visits his grave from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by GUEVARA View Post
          I dont think thats possible. LOL

thats like the israel and palestine of the boxing world.
          By Scott Christ on Apr 6, 4:37p

With great boxing rivalries, sometimes you wind up with bitter enemies who stay that way forever. Sometimes you wind up with a couple of guys who become friends, whose careers are so intertwined that they can't escape the name of the other man, and respect (hard-earned though it may be) comes to the forefront.

It looks like Erik Morales and Marco Antonio Barrera have gotten to that point. Last week, the two were face-to-face accepting awards in Mexico.

Said Morales:

"Things happen but we are friends. Time heals all wounds."

Added Barrera:

"All of the wounds have been healed. The truth is, everything has been forgotten. As with all young people there are certain things that happen, but now we are mature individuals. I respect Erik Morales and as I said earlier, he is my friend."

I've said frequently that Erik Morales is one of my all-time favorite fighters, a guy who basically every time out could get my blood pumping. Barrera, on the other hand, was never a personal favorite, but another guy who I would tune in to see every single time out, because like Morales, he was just that kind of fighter. You never knew when you might get a classic with either of them, and you were all but guaranteed one if they were fighting each other.

There was also some minor talk of a fourth fight between the two faded legends, but Barrera indicated that Morales' run as a welterweight likely makes that impossible. Barrera hasn't officially re-announced a retirement, but he also hasn't fought or been rumored to fight since his all-around despicable loss to Amir Khan in March 2009, a fight that still bugs me.

I hope they don't fight again, but I figure it's more of a possibility than this lets on. Morales could make 140 if he wanted to. Barrera could move up to 140 because it's not like he'll be any worse there than he is at 135, and Morales isn't going to be very good either. But it'd be a total money grab, even more so now that we know they don't hate each others' guts with the fire of a thousand suns anymore.
          http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...xvyoEnu5UMMvHQ

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post

This is Roberto Duran visiting his fierce rival Esteban DeJesus in hospital, DeJesus has AIDS at this point.

Duran walked into his room and kissed him.
            MAAAaann. I love this picture. Roberto duran my all time fave, after seeing this picture for 1st time back in the days, really earned my respects not only as a boxing fan but as a person as well.

great post. thank you sir.

Comment

Vitali and Shannon Brigs were out having a laugh BEFORE the fight.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by eurochamp View Post
                  By Scott Christ on Apr 6, 4:37p

With great boxing rivalries, sometimes you wind up with bitter enemies who stay that way forever. Sometimes you wind up with a couple of guys who become friends, whose careers are so intertwined that they can't escape the name of the other man, and respect (hard-earned though it may be) comes to the forefront.

It looks like Erik Morales and Marco Antonio Barrera have gotten to that point. Last week, the two were face-to-face accepting awards in Mexico.

Said Morales:

"Things happen but we are friends. Time heals all wounds."

Added Barrera:

"All of the wounds have been healed. The truth is, everything has been forgotten. As with all young people there are certain things that happen, but now we are mature individuals. I respect Erik Morales and as I said earlier, he is my friend."

I've said frequently that Erik Morales is one of my all-time favorite fighters, a guy who basically every time out could get my blood pumping. Barrera, on the other hand, was never a personal favorite, but another guy who I would tune in to see every single time out, because like Morales, he was just that kind of fighter. You never knew when you might get a classic with either of them, and you were all but guaranteed one if they were fighting each other.

There was also some minor talk of a fourth fight between the two faded legends, but Barrera indicated that Morales' run as a welterweight likely makes that impossible. Barrera hasn't officially re-announced a retirement, but he also hasn't fought or been rumored to fight since his all-around despicable loss to Amir Khan in March 2009, a fight that still bugs me.

I hope they don't fight again, but I figure it's more of a possibility than this lets on. Morales could make 140 if he wanted to. Barrera could move up to 140 because it's not like he'll be any worse there than he is at 135, and Morales isn't going to be very good either. But it'd be a total money grab, even more so now that we know they don't hate each others' guts with the fire of a thousand suns anymore.
                  http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...xvyoEnu5UMMvHQ
                  I couldve sworn Barrera said in an interview on ringside (sky sports) that he offered friendship to Morales and Morales said they could never be friends. They're civil to each other now.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
                    Wilfredo Gomez attended Salvador Sanchez's funeral and if I'm not mistaking he still visits his grave from time to time.

so did azumah nelson, i think i read he cried at the funeral as well. i heard hearns and hagler hang out when hagler is in the states.

ingemar johansson and floyd patterson became like best friends after their careers ended. they would take turns every year crossing the atlantic to visit eachother, ran marathons together etc. patterson even married a woman from johanssons home city in sweden.

idk about friendship but james toney and mike mccallum both share a huge amount of respect for eachother. toney even gon as far as saying mccallum is the only other fighter of his time that he truly respects lol. he later said he respects holyfield after their fight though.

obviously oscar is friendly with hopkins and mosley. kessler and froch seem like they like eachother even though kessler takes shots at him from time to time.

Comment

Shane and Oscar

Comment

Working...
                      X