No announcement yet.

Conteh v Monzon

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conteh v Monzon

Did you know that John Conteh would have fought Carlos Monzon if only a 10,000 pound fine for Monzon failing to take a urine test after his Napoles fight in Paris would have been lifted by the EBU in 1975. who would have won and how would the fight go.

Originally posted by Quarry View Post
    Did you know that John Conteh would have fought Carlos Monzon if only a 10,000 pound fine for Monzon failing to take a urine test after his Napoles fight in Paris would have been lifted by the EBU in 1975. who would have won and how would the fight go.

Depends on the weight. At 175 I would have to pick Conteh. At 160 I'm not picking anybody in history to beat Monzon. And that includes glass jaw Roy Jones jr.

Comment

Originally posted by RFPROBOX View Post
      Depends on the weight. At 175 I would have to pick Conteh. At 160 I'm not picking anybody in history to beat Monzon. And that includes glass jaw Roy Jones jr.
      What makes you think roy jones had a glass jaw? Thats some NSB shit right there,he didnt get knocked out until he was well past his best

Comment

Originally posted by The_Demon View Post
        What makes you think roy jones had a glass jaw? Thats some NSB shit right there,he didnt get knocked out until he was well past his best
        It wasn't exactly fantastic. It was because he was past his best that his chin got exposed to flush shots and he fell. Whether his chin was actually worse we will never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
          It wasn't exactly fantastic. It was because he was past his best that his chin got exposed to flush shots and he fell. Whether his chin was actually worse we will never know.
          I know it wasn't fantastic,but too call it 'glass' is ridiculous,jones took a fair few punches when he was in his prime too,he wasnt unhittable like some people make out

Comment

Originally posted by The_Demon View Post
            Because he can't take a punch. I said this years ago when Jones was in his prime clowning and doing his stupid chicken dances in the ring. I knew once he got hit he would fold up like a cheap suit.

Comment

I seriously doubt a slow, crude Monzon who didn't exactly have huge power would be the one to expose Jones' "glass" jaw.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                I seriously doubt a slow, crude Monzon who didn't exactly have huge power would be the one to expose Jones' "glass" jaw.

Poet
                He wasn't Stanley Ketchell or Julian Jackson, but Monzon had very heavy hands.

Comment

Originally posted by RFPROBOX View Post
                  Because he can't take a punch. I said this years ago when Jones was in his prime clowning and doing his stupid chicken dances in the ring. I knew once he got hit he would fold up like a cheap suit.
                  Ok,well until you show me some evidence of a prime Jones hurt or knocked out in his prime then you really dont have much of a point,i would show you some evidence on the contrary,but i really dont think it would matter too you

Comment

he was hurt against Del Valle, although that was only one instance and he wasnt too messed up from the punch.

I dont think Roy had a very good chin, but it wasnt god awful, and its much easier said than done to hit the guy flush.

also, he was only about 34/35 years old when he started getting KOed. generally a fighter loses their punch resistance when theyve taken too much damage...that was the exact opposite of how Roy's career went. when his reflexes were diminishing he started getting hit more, and when he started getting hit more...well. ktfo.

but every fighter is different.
                    Last edited by Steak; 03-22-2011, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X