Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harrison v Brodie???

Brodie's back on title trail

Stuart Brennan

MICHAEL Brodie will take on Scott Harrison for the Glaswegian's WBO featherweight title in Manchester on June 3.

That thrilling prospect means the fight will will kick off an amazing weekend of boxing at the Manchester Evening News Arena - as the following night sees Ricky Hatton take on Kostya Tszyu for the IBF light-welterweight crown.

Brodie's manager Jack Trickett thrashed out the details of the Brodie-Harrison clash during a meeting with top promoter Frank Warren in London yesterday, but could not confirm whether contracts have been signed.

But Trickett did reveal that Warren is planning to stage the two big fights on consecutive nights - although Hatton-Tszyu will actually be in the early hours of Sunday morning.

"Two cracking fights, aren't they?" said Trickett, barely able to conceal his delight at securing a fourth world title shot for his man Brodie, who is from Manchester.

"World title fights on consecutive nights in the same city - I can't remember that ever happening anywhere, and Harrison will bring a right crowd down from Scotland."

Brodie has home advantage, as he has in his other three fruitless attempts at landing one of the "big four" world title belts.

In 2000 he lost to Willie Jorrin for the WBC super-bantamweight title, in 2003 he drew with Injin Chi for the WBC featherweight belt and last year he was comprehensively beaten in the re-match with Chi.

"Mike hasn't done bad in that regard, getting to fight on his own midden - that has to be a record," said Trickett.

"It's a fight that I really want and that Scott really wants," said Brodie after claims from Harrison's manager Frank Maloney that the Miles Platting man had "ducked" Harrison when offered the fight last year.

"I can't wait. I've never ducked anyone and Scott knows that. This is the sort of fight I need to get back to world level."

It sounds like it's on but we'll wait until we hear the contracts have been signed first & I can't really understand why they don't just put it on the Tszyu/Hatton undercard coz it would get a MUCH bigger viewing audience & even though Brodie's a cracking little fighter he doesn't bring a huge fan base even from Manchester so the decision to hold it on the same weekend as such a big fight is puzzling to me
    But if it does come off I hope Brodie can get a warm up in first coz he hasn't fought since Chi mauled him the 2nd time and I don't know how he'd cope with another big strong guy charging at him once again but Brodie is a classy performer & might just surprise me.

I can see this fight going 8 rounds then brodie being stopped, the lads had to many wars and you have to question is he doing this fight for the money or to get his career back on track.

Comment

Brodie hasn't won in the last 2 years.Still should be
      a good fight,harrison in 10.

Comment

Hmmmmmm.....yeah tend to agree. Its a shame, i think Brodie in his prime would have maybe had a chance of winning a pts dec but too many wars of late. Harrison late stoppage!

Comment

Who knows with harrison. However, Brodie is too small for FW and he's pillow fisted. I think Harrison starts to walk through him after a few rounds and does a mc cullough on him, brodie stopped soemtime around 7 or 8..

Comment

They should put this on the undercard of Tsyzu-Hatton and have it boradcast in America.

Comment

I think Harrison's real worth has come out as of late. I don't think he's as good as i thought he was after the Wayne fight. He's real tough but very one dimensional and was boxred rather effectively by Victor Pollo or w/e his name was. With the FW division as talent rich as it is, i think he loses to all champs. I think he should fight Joan Guzman. That would be fireworks from start to finish or even Chi as he's the weakest link. Brodie is washed up and a weight class 2 heavy IMO

Comment

Yeah! As a native NorthWester i'd love to see Brodie do it. But i see Harrison making light work of it. It should be on the Hatton undercard i agree! I cant wait for that. Not only the fight, but seeing all these Yanks who've seen very little of Hatton to make an educated opinion, finally eating they're words!

Comment

i was at both brodie chi fights and i feel that second time round it seemed that brodie had had enough in a war, in a way i hope i am wrong but Harrison in 8,9, or 10.

He will be too strong

Comment

It looks like the fight is on. Frank Warren is having a press conference on Wednesday to confirm. Harrison ko8

Comment

Working...
                    X