Collapse
No announcement yet.

James Toney (1991) vs Canelo Alvarez (2019) at middelweight who wins and why

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Toney (1991) vs Canelo Alvarez (2019) at middelweight who wins and why

two of the slickest middleweights and best counter punchers ever, great chins many similarities....Toney had the edge in speed and power was a bit more mobile but i see a nip and tuck fight similar to Toneys fights with McCallum, who wins and why?

Weirdly enough I’m inclined to say canelo. I love Toneys style, it’s so smooth, but I think Canelo would go to the body early and capture the later rounds, and get the decision

Comment

James Toney. Toney not only matches Canelo in handspeed and defense, Toney also has a much better stamina with the height and reach advantage. Toney that fought Barkley would U.D Canelo quite easily IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Silkpajamas View Post
        Weirdly enough I’m inclined to say canelo. I love Toneys style, it’s so smooth, but I think Canelo would go to the body early and capture the later rounds, and get the decision
        Canelo isnt busy enough in my opinion and also Toney was slicker than himself...Middleweight toney was a puncher had some high paced fights

i think it would be competitive like most of canelos fights vs top guys i just think Toney does a few things better and that will make him have the edge

At 24 Toney outboxed Mike McCallum who is known for his skills and bodypunching

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
          James Toney. Toney not only matches Canelo in handspeed and defense, Toney also has a much better stamina with the height and reach advantage. Toney that fought Barkley would U.D Canelo quite easily IMO.
          yea i think at 168 toney would win quite clear

Comment

Toney would beat the piss out of canelo. He would force canelo to initiate. Canelo likes to counterpunch and wait. Toney would force him to fight like may and lara did and would get countered even worse

Comment

Toney UD. He’d do a real job on Canelo, that fight would provide some great inside action.

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
                That was his career best performance IMO.

Comment

If Canelo presses Toney too hard then he gets busted up by counterpunching and stopped. If he boxes then he loses a wide UD.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
                    Toney UD. He’d do a real job on Canelo, that fight would provide some great inside action.
                    they'd be banging countering missing each other by millimeters, wish it was possible to see

Comment

Working...
                    X