No announcement yet.

ezzard charles vs gene tunney

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ezzard charles vs gene tunney

who had the better resume? who is the better hw? What would happen head to head?

Ezzard Charles, Ezzard Charles, and Ezzard Charlse UD 15/12

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
      who had the better resume? who is the better hw? What would happen head to head?
      Tunney all the way.

Comment

Charles' wins over Moore and Burley surpass Tunney's LHW resume, although Tunney's wins over Greb were supposedly incredible fights.

At HW, I rank Charles in the bottom of the top 15. Tunney really doesn't rate at all at HW since he only fought there twice, but skill-wise I'd rank him in the top 20... he'd be a tough matchup for any plodding type of heavyweight in history.

Head to head, there is nobody in history who I'd favor over Charles at 175. Nobody. Tunney was a brilliant fighter, but I really can't think of an attribute of his that Charles doesn't either meet or exceed. Tunney gets out-boxed over 15 rounds, or knocked out late. Ezzard carried his power in the 15th round as well as anyone in history. I really don't want to disparage Tunney... he's a legend and I rank him in the top 15 P4P all time, but Charles was in a league of his own. I've had the privilege to see almost all of his fights that are on film: If that was all I knew of him, I'd still rank him as the GOAT LHW... and what's scary is that his best years weren't captured on film!

Along with seeing footage of Greb, there's nothing I'd rather see more than the bouts between Charles and Moore.

Comment

Have to pick charles. Ain't no dempsy who would get outboxed all day, he'd ko tunney late or get the ud.

Comment

GReat matchup!

At LHW Charles Wins, at Cruiserweight it's a draw, at HW Tunney wins.

Comment

Working...
            X