Old 12-30-2010, 02:47 PM #6
Amateur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
slakka is on a distinguished road
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 7,581.88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
Carpentier was virtually unbeaten in 9yrs losing only a disputed decision to Joe Jeanette... Greb lost many of his most important career fights during the period Dempsey was champion unto he took almost 4yrs out of the ring. Greb was soundly beaten twice by Tommy Gibbons, three times & a highly debatable draw against Gene Tunney dropped a decision and drew with Tommy Loughran, lost two to Tiger Flowers, drew with one or two journeymen fighters as well as suffered a six month suspension all these as well as defending his World Middleweight Title several times and winning and losing the American Light-Heavyweight Title.... Great fighter that Greb was i just don't think he was a heavyweight which is why he was not considered and he was not more deserving of a shot at Jack Dempsey than Gene Tunney was or Georges Carpentier... also i have never ever came across any books or writings which claimed Greb should have been fighting for the Heavyweight Championship or than he was denied a chance, if you have then i would appreciate the links.
Regardless of Greb/Dempsey your assessment of the Greb/Tunneys series is extremely unkind to Harry.
U got Billy Gibson and Arnold Rothsteen laughing in their respective graves!
slakka is offline   Reply With Quote