Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do so many hardcore boxing fans like to pretend that De La Hoya isn't an ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do so many hardcore boxing fans like to pretend that De La Hoya isn't an ATG?

I mean seriously, can you really name 100 boxers with greater career acheivments and a greater resume than Oscar? You would be hardpressed to find even 60-75 fighters more accomplished than Oscar.

Discuss.

i wish he would have pressed the fight the last four rounds against tito beyond that he carried the sport for years til pacquiao/mayweather and he did it better than they are doing combined.

Comment

De La Hoya is certainly an ATG and will go down in history as one!

He gets a bit of grief for his cross dressing, his pretty boy looks, the camp dance he did after beating Chavez and his 'sometimes' feminine dimenour (which I've always interpreted as a bit of a media act).

But in the ring he was superb, every inch the man. His accomplishments amateur and pro are excellent. He fought dozens of pound for pound rated fighters (at their best too!! Trinidad, Mayweather, Mosley, Pacquiou, Hopkins jump to mind). Even when losing, his performances were often very good.

There isn't a welterweight in history who has an 'easy' time with prime De La Hoya.

Comment

One of the finest left hooks I've seen in the game. De la Hoya was ferocious up until the Trinidad fight, I think the loss broke his confidence some so you can see a difference in him before and after. His style wasn't as intense afterwards, then he had the Mosley and Hopkins.

I love DLH, his boxing is truly superb and he really looked sharp for a long time. He wasn't a push over, had an great left hook, lots of technicality and skill, pretty dominate career, a great chin, I don't think I've ever heard of or seen DLH take a punch (to his face) that shook him.

DLH, regardless of his media antics and personal life, will always be among the greatest.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          De La Hoya is certainly an ATG and will go down in history as one!

He gets a bit of grief for his cross dressing, his pretty boy looks, the camp dance he did after beating Chavez and his 'sometimes' feminine dimenour (which I've always interpreted as a bit of a media act).

But in the ring he was superb, every inch the man. His accomplishments amateur and pro are excellent. He fought dozens of pound for pound rated fighters (at their best too!! Trinidad, Mayweather, Mosley, Pacquiou, Hopkins jump to mind). Even when losing, his performances were often very good.

There isn't a welterweight in history who has an 'easy' time with prime De La Hoya.
          another good post.

while i think there would probably be at least an argument for 100 other boxers in front of oscar i have no qualms whatsoever in calling him a bonafide great fighter
          and if people want to rank him somewhere in the latter half of their top 100 i'm all for hearing out their cases.

oscar was a handful for anybody at LW as well. i'm not saying he's an ATG beater necessarily, but his chin, jab, punch, and skills make him a handful

he lost many of his biggest fights, but he took on all comers.
          other than the hook and the fame i think he'll be remembered for that the most.

as you said, he fought EVERYBody

friggin gatti to hopkins
          mayweather to vargas
          pacquiao to quartey

i could go on. the guy has an unbelievable resume as an amateur and pro. and he was in some great fights. quartey, vargas, and of course mosley 1 are classic fights.

he lost 5 out of 228 amateur fights!

223 wins!

Comment

Where is Jro when you need him?

Comment

He's not an ATG in my book.

I consider him a first Ballot HOF'er and a Boarderline ATG.

Similar to Trinidad and others.

Comment

Obviously an ATG.

Beat Pernell Whitaker, shane Mosely twice and JCC. What's not to like?

Comment

Originally posted by -D33Pwaters- View Post
                  Obviously an ATG.

Beat Pernell Whitaker, shane Mosely twice and JCC. What's not to like?
                  I can't tell if you're being serious.

Are you?

Comment

I would never attempt to make a list of top 100 fighters of all time, so I can't honestly say that De La Hoya is not a top 100 worthy fighter.

But I can say that I believe that from his generation of fighters, Pernell Whitaker, JCC, RJJ, Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather Jr, Bernard Hopkins and Evander Holyfield were/are all better than him. So he's a top 10 fighter of the last 20 years.

Where that leaves him ranked overall I wouldn't like to say.

Comment

Working...
                    X