No announcement yet.

Training/Dieting regime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training/Dieting regime

ok, so I used to run long distance and play soccer in college and have since transfered schools and gotten pretty out of shape. Now I've decided to give boxing/MMA a shot. (I'm thinking that my running endurance will carry over and my footskills and quickness from soccer could too.)

Male
    6'0"
    165 (hoping to drop to 145-150 for competition)

Here's what I'm looking at for a "pre-boxing/MMA" training (before I look for a boxing trainer/gym)

M: circuits*
    T: sprinting (100m, 200m, 400m, 200m, 100m...x2)
    W: circuits*
    Th: rest
    F: circuits*
    Sat: fartleks (spelling)...2 mile run, sprint 100m, jog 200m
    Sun: rest

*25 burpees, 25 crunches, 15 pull/chinups, 25 crunches, 25 squats, 25 crunches, 10 dips (do that x3 and rest 1-2 min between each circuit) --- these are just numbers thrown out there and I'll adjust them as I do them.

with a morning/night run of 2 miles in 18 min (what i can do now, dropping the time down about 10 sec each day until I get down to about 12 min for 2 miles)

Dieting...I'm terrible with this cuz I eat pizza hut about 3-4 times a week (I work there part time and free food tastes best!)...so I'm gonna need help with this.

9- eggs and raisin brand or mini-wheat cereal (something with tons of carbs for the day)
    12- salad
    3- fruit (banana, orange, apple...something like that)
    6- potatoes and meat (red meat 2-3 times a week and white meat the other days)
    9- yogurt

That's a REALLY long read, so I apologize if anyone actually reads all of this and helps me cuz it's going to take a little while...I thought this was better than just asking "Hey, what's a good training/diet schedule for somebody to do before they join a boxing/MMA gym?"

Anyways, if you guys will take the time, please help me out and voice your opinion.
    Last edited by jordo_99; 06-24-2008, 01:21 PM.

it's fartleks

and weight-wise arm stuff can be some of the worst form of weightlifting.
    Some grapplers will do high-rep bicep curls to help with chokes, but tricep extensions are pretty useless.

If you're doing an mma preparatory workout, I think you'd be much better off doing exercises like burpees (squat thrusts- from standing drop down to a pushup & jump back up), kettlebell swings, sandbag carries, squats, lunges, deadlifts, pull/chinups, dips, and olympic lifts (clean, snatch, clean & press).

Comment

Originally posted by Pork Chop View Post
      it's fartleks

and weight-wise arm stuff can be some of the worst form of weightlifting.
      Some grapplers will do high-rep bicep curls to help with chokes, but tricep extensions are pretty useless.

If you're doing an mma preparatory workout, I think you'd be much better off doing exercises like burpees (squat thrusts- from standing drop down to a pushup & jump back up), kettlebell swings, sandbag carries, squats, lunges, deadlifts, pull/chinups, dips, and olympic lifts (clean, snatch, clean & press).
      thanks a lot

I've changed my workout schedule to "circuits" instead of weight-lifting...Are there any workouts that will help with punching power specifically? I really think that'll be my weakness in MMA/boxing, but I'm hoping that I could make up for it in endurance.

Comment

Lol...Fartleks

Comment

Originally posted by jordo_99 View Post
          Are there any workouts that will help with punching power specifically?
          Punching power is more about technique than strength.
          Power comes from your feet, transitions through the turn of your waist, the turn of your shoulders, and out through your relaxed arm - which tenses just before the moment of impact.

You can get some carry-over of proper punching technique; such as putting your hips into the shot & proper weight transition, from stuff like baseball (hitting & pitching) and even golf.

Exercises that have a similar body connection & explosiveness are:
          kettlebell snatch, throwing a (rubber) medicine ball against the wall (hard as you can), sledgehammer/chopping wood, and olympic lifts.

Comment

Plyometric training helps with punch power, press ups which involve claps between them etc.

Technique is important in that you want to be moving through the correct plane when you punch so you transfer as much force as possible through your gloves.

For instance throwing a hook with your elbow above your fist will reduce a lot of power.

Comment

ok, I guess I'll just worry about punching and technique until I get into a gym.

any other comments/concerns with my dieting/training?

Comment

rossboxing, power boxing and punch out drills

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym24.htm

Comment

Working...
                X