No announcement yet.

Best Comeback In History.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colonel Jones
    Yes Forman ranks right up towards the top.
    Also i'll give props to Evander Holyfield, after the Doctors diagnosed him with heart problems, he was written off by most experts. Ring magazine had predicted that the Tyson-Holyfield fight would be "fast and explosive-Tyson in One'. As we all know Holyfield dominated. And had a decent defense against Michael Moorer afterwards as well as superfights with Lewis.
    Also Roberto Duran, thought to be shot, an underdog against the younger Davey Moore,(davey Moore had actually left During one of Durans fights (i believe it was on the Arguello Pryor undercard) because he looked so bad and the crowd was booing him. Few fights later Duran had battered Davey into a gruesome 8th round knockout. Sports Illustrated Headlines read: "Duran, One Mas Time, He that was lost has been found"

oh yeah I forgot about those. especially the holyfield one. i remember everyone thought holyfield was dead meat because he looked terrible one fight before against bobby chez(sp?). but he surprised everyone.

Comment

I'd like to say SRLeonard (he's one of my favorite fighters) but I've gotta give it to Foreman hands down.

Comment

Dont forget about Willie Pep. He broke his back in an airplane accident and doctors said he would never walk again. He would not only win the title again but end up as one of the best feathers ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick1998
          Dont forget about Willie Pep. He broke his back in an airplane accident and doctors said he would never walk again. He would not only win the title again but end up as one of the best feathers ever.

yeah that is pretty impressive.

Comment

Here's another one that I'm suprised hasn't been mentioned yet, as it's probably the most 'accomplished' comeback in boxing history...Sugar Ray Robinson, first retired after losing to Joey Maxim in an attempt to win the light heavyweight championship, and then came back two and a half years later to win the middleweight championship another three times.

Comment

Holyfield was a good one.
              Roberto Duran
              SRL
              Ali after 3 year exile.
              Foremans tops the lot for me.

Comment

George Foreman. He didn't give up after Holyfield and he didn't retire after the painful fight against Stewart.I haven't seen a fighter in recent years that would continue in such a bruised up state let alone a fighter 16 years or more past his prime. Many years ago after having just beat Ron Lyle Foreman said something like ' I'll never give up i'll never stop trying till the day that I die, in my next fight I'm going to have heart of a lion written on my shorts ', he should have heart of a lion written on his shorts because no fighter has stuck to their word so well. George is the man.

Comment

They did a beyond the Glory about George and apparently he named all his kids George or Georgetta I thought that was funny as hell

I love George too he's a really inspiring guy, he shows you can really go against the odds

Comment

Originally posted by foremanfan
                    George Foreman. He didn't give up after Holyfield and he didn't retire after the painful fight against Stewart.I haven't seen a fighter in recent years that would continue in such a bruised up state let alone a fighter 16 years or more past his prime. Many years ago after having just beat Ron Lyle Foreman said something like ' I'll never give up i'll never stop trying till the day that I die, in my next fight I'm going to have heart of a lion written on my shorts ', he should have heart of a lion written on his shorts because no fighter has stuck to their word so well. George is the man.

In my humble opinion the foreman comeback comes very very close to the ali comeback. in some ways it beats the ali comeback. one thing where it beats it for me is because i followed foreman second carreer and everyone laughed at him thought he was a crazy old man.then to see it LIVE him ko-ing moorer was incredible. one of the biggest sports moments of all time.

Comment

What impresses me most about George is his will to win that he demonstrated in his comeback. In the Holyfield fight he took a lot of clean shots the 3,7 and 9 rounds specifically but he kept on coming and kept on trying. At that point in time I considered Holyfield to be at his heavyweight peak yet the 42 year old guy was able to rumble for the full 12. That's something that the younger Tyson was unable to do against the Holyfield that had looked awful against Moorer and pretty bad before being ko'd by Bowe. As far as I'm concerned Holy was on the slide by the time he fought Tyson yet he still had more than enough to force a stoppage. Foreman all though I thought earned the points against Stewart via his second round knockdowns took such a lot of clean punches and was horribly marked up and swollen yet rallied so well in the eighth round. His face was dented but his will to win was still as strong as ever. For those people that have seen the HBO showing of the Moorer bout and not the BBC showing you can really hear Moorer's shots thudding into George and Moorer was a big puncher for sure but George inspite of his physical limitations in terms of speed and reactions continued plodding forwards round after round just looking for that straight right that would put Moorer down. At no point does he look like he want's to stop and at no point does he look like he justs wants to survive the twelve rounds. This is something of a fantasy but imagine how the 42 year old Foreman would have dealt with the 40 year old Holyfield or the 38 year old Tyson.

Comment

Working...
                      X