• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyson to resume training

April 13, 2004

By Alexander Blake and Lisa Scott
    Photos by Alexander Blake

'Iron' Mike Tyson is set to return to the gym this week to begin light boxing training to prepare for a possible fight in July. Currently, Tyson's trainer, opponent and venue have yet to be determined. However, it has been decided that Tyson will once again return to the Central Boxing Club in Phoenix Arizona - formally the legendary Madison Boxing Gym. Previously, Tyson made his initial preparations at the gym for his fights against Francois Botha and Lennox Lewis.

Central Boxing Club co-owner, Harwood Hamilton told *********: "Mike is a great guy! He's very laid back and composed, and it's always nice to have him back here at our gym."

As one of the oldest gyms in Phoenix, with a fabled and rich history of world class fighters, the former owners of Madison Boxing Gym experienced financial difficulties after 15 years in business and were forced to sell their stake in the gym. In February 2003, Hamilton and Hank Zanzucchi became the new proprietors and invested over $250,000 in an extensive renovation that lasted for seven months.

Hamiltion, states: "I read the article that ********* wrote on Gleason's. I saw what Bruce Silverglade (Gleason's owner) was doing up there in New York in respect to his amateur program and white collar members. I thought 'Hey, this could work in Phoenix.' Since our gym is already a champion magnet, now we just have to build up our amateur and white collar programs. Eventually, we're looking to become the Gleason's of the West."

'Champion magnet' indeed. Such notables who have trained there include: Lennox Lewis, Floyd Mayweather Jr., Michael Carbajal (who got his start at the gym), Julio Cesar Chavez, Louie Espinoza (Phoenix's first native born champion) Antonio Margarito, Jorge Paez, Oscar de la Hoya and of course... Tyson and many others.

While the 37 year old Tyson has secured Central Boxing Club for his own private training this month, it's encouraging for Tyson fans to know that the former two-time heavyweight champ is back in the gym and looking to make a return to the ring.

In a previous interview with *********, Tyson's former trainer, Kevin Rooney stated: "Mike still has punching power and when you have power, you're always dangerous. The heavyweight division is wide open for Mike. He just has to take his training seriously."

Check out their website: www.centralboxingclub.tk

Mike Tyson is the Tank Abott of boxing. He won't win, people know he won't win, but pay to see him anyway.

Comment

Mike Tyson was one of the best boxers ever. He is not a Tank Abott of boxing. Tank was never the best, he was never "on top", he NEVER held a title, he knocked out nobodies, Tyson knocked out everyone in his path.

Tyson always has a chance, no matter who he is fighting just coz he is Tyson. Tank on the other hand, in this sport.... he is stubborn. Thinks he does'nt need to train ground work, says he can run through anyone in the HW division... calling them clowns. I don't know if you've heard any of Mike's interviews lately, but he is way more humble and I personally think that makes for a better fighter. Egos can get in the way of a lot.

Don't compare Tank and Tyson. Nothing in common. Tank has NEVER had the accomplishments that Tyson has, and he probably(99.9% sure) he never will.

Comment

Still, I don't know that I give Tyson too much credit, but I do think you're right: Abbott hasn't accomplished what Tyson has. Before the rape case, Tyson rode the celebrity wave that they scripted for Rocky Balboa. Tank is just recognizable for having a ton of fights and a big mouth.

Comment

Put Tyson and Kyle in a bitting match lol
          & ya he is the Tank of boxing

Comment

Originally posted by DOGGx0
            Mike Tyson was one of the best boxers ever. He is not a Tank Abott of boxing. Tank was never the best, he was never "on top", he NEVER held a title, he knocked out nobodies, Tyson knocked out everyone in his path.

Tyson always has a chance, no matter who he is fighting just coz he is Tyson. Tank on the other hand, in this sport.... he is stubborn. Thinks he does'nt need to train ground work, says he can run through anyone in the HW division... calling them clowns. I don't know if you've heard any of Mike's interviews lately, but he is way more humble and I personally think that makes for a better fighter. Egos can get in the way of a lot.

Don't compare Tank and Tyson. Nothing in common. Tank has NEVER had the accomplishments that Tyson has, and he probably(99.9% sure) he never will.
            I am talking about right now. Back when MMA first started, Tank had a chance against everyone he fought just because he had a right hand.

Now, just like Tyson, he has NO chance to win against anyone good, or even anyone half way good. However, people still love to watch him fight.

Thats how he is like Tank Abbott. Not the in ring skills, but the situation they both find themselves in. Only difference, Tank is a rich mother****er. Mike is broke

Comment

I guess if you look at it that way. I just think its a tad bit disrespectful to compare a boxing legend and champion to tank abbott. tank has never accomplished ****.

*trying to be nice*

and personally, anything that comes from you in regards to who can beat who, who has no chance, etc.... gets no recommendation from me. its been proven time and time again that you have no clue what you are talking about when it comes to fighter vs fighter. you pay attention to the sport, and thats great, however you just view it differently than 95% of the world. your statements = STILL null and void.

Comment

Originally posted by Creed
                I am talking about right now. Back when MMA first started, Tank had a chance against everyone he fought just because he had a right hand.

Now, just like Tyson, he has NO chance to win against anyone good, or even anyone half way good. However, people still love to watch him fight.

Thats how he is like Tank Abbott. Not the in ring skills, but the situation they both find themselves in. Only difference, Tank is a rich mother****er. Mike is broke
                I wouldn't be so quick to discredit Tyson. Yes, his skills have eroded and he's not the same fighter he used to be. You could cite several reasons: age, lack of motivation, bad training habits, etc.
                One thing, however, that doesn't go away as a fighter ages is his power. Tyson still packs some hard **** in his hands. And you, of all people Creed, should know that anyone who can end a fight with one punch always has a chance.
                Right now, the heavyweight division is absolute GARBAGE. Nobody stands out as being the dominant champion. When you have guys like that tango instructor John Ruiz and Vitaly Quitsko rated as number one and two, you know the division is in trouble.
                Having said that, I'd say an over-the-hill Tyson would still have a chance at beating both guys, who I'd say are little better than "half way good."

Which brings us back to Tank. You say people still love to watch him fight. I'd argue that there are much more people who'd rather see him go away. Tyson still has drawing power. Tank has none whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                X