No announcement yet.

The British HW Scene

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The British HW Scene

According to boxrec, our top five fighters are skelton, harrison, gammer, williams and sprott.

the next placed guy is the very ordinary michael steeds.

is there any hope?

Frank Bruno coming out of retirement and cleaning house? Hmm, don't see that happening unfortunately. He probably could too.

Maybe David Haye moving up, he's got age on his side. All the others are in their mid/late 30's, and I've never been impressed with Scott Gammer, got the impression he avoided Audley Harrison.

Comment

i like skelton a lot and hes showed veristility and the ability to change his game the rest are a pile of crap

Comment

Skelton is the UK's last hope. After that its back to the dark ages again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazrazmataz View Post
          i like skelton a lot and hes showed veristility and the ability to change his game the rest are a pile of crap
          He is way too old to make a big impact.imo.

Comment

our best hope is haye making a move up to heavy, and the only other man is skelton the rest our not good enough at world level.

Comment

UK heavyweight scene is a joke and a roll call of mediocrity.

Haye is probably the best hope. How about Tyson Fury:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/5316316.stm

You could be forgiven for thinking "Tyson Fury" was another tabloid headline highlighting the former world heavyweight champion's latest indiscretion.

But Tyson Fury is also the name of a teenager from Cheshire being hailed as the next big hope for British boxing.

For coach Steve Egan, it was a case of "too good to be true" when the 18-year-old super heavyweight, who stands 6ft 6in tall and weighs more than 18st, walked through the door of his Manchester gym four years ago.

"He just came in one day and started hitting a bag at the back of the gym," recalls Egan. "I went to have a look at him and immediately knew he was talented.

"He was big but very mobile, had quick hands and a good variety of punches, too.

"I've turned other fighters with less talent into good fighters, so I knew he would be very good. So far, I haven't been disappointed. This guy is going to be champion of the world some day."

Talent aside, Egan must have known he was onto a good thing as soon as he discovered the name of the youngster who had turned up unannounced.

"I asked him what he was called and he said 'Tyson'," remembers Egan. "I said 'Yeah, right'. After all, there aren't many white kids called Tyson, are there?

"Then I asked him what his second name was. When he told me it was Fury, well, I couldn't believe that either. It was a dream come true."

It certainly made any talk of a nickname redundant.

And Fury, given the name Tyson by his dad in tribute to the infamous Iron Mike, has only reaffirmed what Egan already knew from the very first meeting.

"This lad has got everything - movement, speed, good defence. He's also got heart," says Egan.

"You can teach boxers new skills, tactics, how to punch, etcetera, but you can't make them want it. You've got to have that fire inside you. Tyson's got plenty of that.

"He is also very dedicated. He told me once that he prefers going to the gym than going for a night out."

Fury, whose father, "Gypsy" Johnny, was also a decent heavyweight, appears to have the world at his feet. Or should that be fists.

He takes another step on the road to potential greatness this weekend when he begins his challenge for gold at the World Junior Championships in the Moroccan city of Agadir.

That's if anyone dares to fight him. He has won all 11 of his fights, six of them inside the distance.

"He could have stopped all of his opponents, but he listens to me," says Egan. "I told he could learn more from going the distance rather than knocking them out."

Fury would no doubt have had more scalps under his belt had he not gone two years without a competitive bout because there was no-one his size in his age group.

His immense presence and blossoming reputation have also resulted in one or two matchmakers being less than truthful when pitting him against an opponent.

Fury's last foe was supposed to have fought 10 times, with a 50/50 record.

It turned out he had fought twice that amount, winning 15 times and knocking out his last three opponents.

It made little difference to Fury, though. He took just 30 seconds to KO his unfortunate rival.

"He wants to be world champion," says Egan, who will be in Fury's corner in Morocco.

"That's his aim. I think he'll get there, too. Not tomorrow, because he's only a baby, but he'll get there."

Comment

yeah....looks like our next bright hw prospects are still amateurs..

tyson fury looks older than his age

(he's the one on the left)

david price is also thinking of turning pro after the 2008 olympics. how do you think he'd do?

Comment

The U.S. Heavyweight scene is bad, but the Brit one is horrible. I've revised my imaginary rankings, and there are no Brits in the top 50 now. Maybe a couple in the top 100. Really, all boxing fans need to learn to disregard nationality as much as possible. The current Brit heavies have received much more attention than deserved.

Comment

Well Roman Greenberg fights out of the UK and is probably better than the British bunch, but he's Israeli of course; I don't think he's world champion material anyway, maybe a future top ten guy though.

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=373318

There's this guy from Northern Ireland where I'm from; he's 21, 6'7'' and has four wins under his belt, but I have no idea of his potential or how good he might be.

Comment

Working...
                    X