View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 06:10 AM #56
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2101 Post(s)
QueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,535.61
Total Points: 96,343.31

Quote:
Originally Posted by them_apples View Post
I read your entire post.

Anyone can bulk. I can bulk to HW if I want to. You seem to completely miss my point every time, and I have made this point on many different occasions. fighters have EFFECTIVE weights. Underneath all the bulk is a bodies natural makeup. Bone structure, tendons, lung capacity, bone density, natural muscle shape and make up. Someone could be very stocky in frame but run 20 miles every day and be someone skinny. The second they stop they slam on weight fast because they are thick in frame and their body is supposed to carry more weight. Someone could be small in frame and be carrying 25 lbs of muscle mass making them heavier but also cumbersome, musclebound and fatigued.

Yes Hagler could have bulked to 250 if he wanted, hell, Ronny Coleman went from 180 to over 300. You just can't seem to get past the scale problem. Rocky was 188 lbs and knocking down men much larger than him, (yes the best guys were smaller at the time, but he did beat up a lot of heavyweights). Rocky could bulk to 250 if he wanted, but that would take away his best attributes. Actually, when he retired he was up to 255 if I recall correctly. Funny thing is, Ruiz still looked fatter than him.

Rocky is a stocky framed fighter who trained for endurance. If you read his book he did more roadwork than any fighter I ever read about. 12 miles up and down hills in boots, every day. He trained to outlast his opponents because he wasn't fast. his best attributes were his heavy hands and his endurance. He recooperated fast and he threw more punches than anyone at heavyweight. Rocky could have easily been over 200, if he trained like the heavyweights today we are probably talking 240 and fat as a cow.

I actually laugh so hard when I see Anthony Joshua. He's got this huge arm and this small little wrist and hand, like a body builder. He's got everyone duped into thinking he's this monster of a heavyweight but in reality he just looks good. He's not monstrously strong, he's not fast, he doesnt even hit hard. And under neath that 250 lbs is that tall glass of water waiting to be broken, that 6 ft 6 natty 200 and thin in the face.

In one camp he's already down to 237, that goes to show he was massively upkeeping that 250 lbs. The second he got off gear, bulking shakes and 4 meals a day his body probably retreated at high speed. this guy could be 215 lbs easily within a year.
- -Lotta blah-blah analysis here.

Nobody better than Archie at flitting between LH and heavy and I have no doubt with weight training he'd scale 205 for a twelve rd title fight and have tricks unfathomable to the current crop of boxing experts and fighters.

It won't make him a great heavy though, because he was already great thru his LH run.

I've seen Andy Ruiz in the 240s, and he is a formidable looking, one off physical speciman, but like many big men, not in stature, but in natural bone and muscle size, he prefers to be fat as that's where he feels the strongest.

Most Olympic hvy class weightlifters have that extra heft, but size can also be visually misleading. The Cowboys had a Tackle (Newton) going 6-3, 330 that everybody thought was fat, but Tom Landry who introduced scientific wt training into the nfl with spectacular results said Newtons bodyfat measured by H2O immersion was the lowest on the team, even the long and lean defensive backs.

That was the genius of Big George's comeback, ie he embraced his size. Early in it against Qawi he was down to 235, in traditional boxing shape, and looked like he coulda been modeling speedos.

He knocked the careening Qawi around like so many bowling pins, and then promptly returned to the 250s where he did his best work.

AJ has fallen into the modern science physical training that is trying to maximize rehydrated physical size in a 12 rd era where KDs are scored for and against fighters, and typically that involves specific wt training all why aesthetically trying to look as low body fat traditional fighters of yore, so it's hard to know what his natural body bulk would be, but in the 240s he was running 10.5 100 meter times that would likely beat most ever Decathlete medalist who ever existed and he's a true 6-6 stature.

I'd dismiss his training for this fight as I would Andy's. Too much of a good thing seldom pays off, but it will in million$$$ for this fight...only in boxing!
QueensburyRules is offline   Reply With Quote