Collapse
No announcement yet.

Street fighting stories.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kimbo Slice, of course. And Tyson beat up Mitch Green on the streets.

Comment

There are various rules and codes at work in streetfights. Wherever people just stand upright and punch each other, a set of civilizing conventions is already in place. Real streetfights are unpredictable, and do not have highly refined rules. Pro boxers in streetfights fight a highly refined streetfight. How about some stories of real streefights, to recuscitate this thread?

Comment

It would have been interesting to see Duran and Ayala go at it in a streetfight.

Comment

Harry Greb and Mickey Walker contested the middleweight title in 1925
          Walker lost on points, they shook hands & had a drink together
          They got pissed & decided on an immediate rematch in the car park

So the story goes anyway

Comment

There is a guy on George Foreman's record from George's 13th professional fight named Gary Hobo Wiler in 1969. Wiler and I have the same small hometown. His younger brother was a year older than me. We used to play guitars together in high school. The real family name was Daetwiler.

Gary was already living out of state when I was still in high school. One time he came back to town for a family visit. He must have been about twenty-one years old.. I saw him drive by our high school as it let out. He put his head out the window about a foot to ogle the girlfriend of the toughest guy in school, Jay M. Jay M. was small but vicious. He won a famous fight after high school once by merely kicking his larger opponent in the nuts as the formally arranged after school fight began. Everyone was rather afraid of him, though he only stood about 5'7". He was, though, an all county wrestler for his weight. He saw Daetwiler ogle his girlfriend and set out in his own car after him.

He caught up with him out by the gravel works and they stopped. I got this account later from Daetwiler--like a couple of years later. He didn't know what it was all about there in the gravel yard. He stands about the size of Foreman himself. Suddenly this little high school senior is running at him full bore like he is going to tackle him on a football field. He said he put out his hand in a stiff arm, seized Jay M. by the head with that one hand and simply held him there for a few moments before telling him to get back in his car and move along. He says Jay M. followed this suggestion rather promptly. This would be quite out of character for Jay M., who once forced some other teenagers he was with to turn their vehicle around so he could go back a couple of blocks and fight a gang who had given them the finger as they passed by in a strange city. He was duly beaten senseless by the gang. But this same guy meekly returned to his car when Gary hobo Wiler suggested it. True story.
            Last edited by The Old LefHook; 03-04-2018, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Good story ^^

What town was this in?

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
                I find the story of James Toney knocking out Dion Sanders really funny..
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLLVo-8zyQI

I read that Tyson broke his hand on Mitch Green's face when they met some years after their fight, also.

Oh and Canelo beat up Archie Solis ...
                What do you do read lips?

Comment

Originally posted by TheReadyTimeBoy View Post
                  Good story ^^
                  Originally posted by TheReadyTimeBoy View Post
                  What town was this in?
                  Fortuna, California. But I believe Wiler was already living in Washington at the time. I don't know if he was boxing yet in 1965-66, which is when this would have been. The whole family was athletic and built but for the most part did not go out for school sports. All of them far surpassed everyone else at the local skating rink, for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                    Harry Greb and Mickey Walker contested the middleweight title in 1925
                    Walker lost on points, they shook hands & had a drink together
                    They got pissed & decided on an immediate rematch in the car park

So the story goes anyway
                    If that happened today, there would be at least 10 cam videos on youtube.

Comment

When pro boxers face nobodies and street brawlers the mismatch is like man against child.

Comment

Working...
                      X