No announcement yet.

After Manfredo...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Manfredo...

Ok...Joe fights and (probably) beats Manfredo Junior in the April PR exercise in Wales.

Assuming this has allowed them to set up a Calzaghe "mega" fight in the United States later this year, who would the ideal opponent be and who would be the most likely... I've only included American based boxers in the list as it would be pointless for Joe to go to America and fight a non-america based opponent (so no need to mention Froch or Kessler in this thread), and these are just names off the top of my head...

At SMW:

Taylor
    Winky
    Miranda

At LHW:

Tarver
    Jones
    Hopkins
    Dawson

Out of these names, I still think Taylor or Hopkins would be the most credible opponents and Jones the least credible even though it could earn him $$$s.

What do you think...anyone else come to mind?

I think Taylor- Calzaghe is the best matchup but i think he may get the winner of Winky- Hopkins or Jones.

Comment

Well Winky and Hopkins are fighting at the end of July so he wouldn't fight either of them till October/ November time. Roy Jones ain't gonna happen as HBO won't buy it. Dawson and Miranda aren't well known enough for it to be a big money fight. So this leaves Tarver or Taylor. From what I read in the Ring magazine Taylor is going to have a fight in September followed by a PPV. I can see Calzaghe/Taylow being the PPV but that won't be till November/December. So that would leave Tarver as a possble summer fight. However I think HBO are gearing up for Kessler/Calzaghe. They recognize there is Super-middleweight unification and are showing both the Kessler and Calzaghe fights. HBO have the rights for both the fighters so won't be a problem to make.
      I think it'll be a summer fight against Kessler followed by Taylor in America on PPV in the autumn/winter.

Comment

Originally posted by whatashambles View Post
        Well Winky and Hopkins are fighting at the end of July so he wouldn't fight either of them till October/ November time. Roy Jones ain't gonna happen as HBO won't buy it. Dawson and Miranda aren't well known enough for it to be a big money fight. So this leaves Tarver or Taylor. From what I read in the Ring magazine Taylor is going to have a fight in September followed by a PPV. I can see Calzaghe/Taylow being the PPV but that won't be till November/December. So that would leave Tarver as a possble summer fight. However I think HBO are gearing up for Kessler/Calzaghe. They recognize there is Super-middleweight unification and are showing both the Kessler and Calzaghe fights. HBO have the rights for both the fighters so won't be a problem to make.
        I think it'll be a summer fight against Kessler followed by Taylor in America on PPV in the autumn/winter.

i'm not sure calzaghe will fight twice more this year...i get the feeling he'll have at least a 6 month lay-off after the Manfredo fight.

Comment

Originally posted by rooq View Post
          i'm not sure calzaghe will fight twice more this year...i get the feeling he'll have at least a 6 month lay-off after the Manfredo fight.
          Most likely. And then he's gonna fight Mora, now that Taylor isn't.

Comment

Calzaghe cant win in the eyes of the US public.

if he beats manfredo - well he's a nobody who cares

if he beats taylor - he was just a blown up middleweight, who cares

if he beats hopkins - hopkins aged in that fight and was an old man, who cares

if he beats winky - wright is past his best and is a blown up middleweight who cares..

watch what they say if Calzaghe pulls of these wins...they use the same excuses...you`ll see

Comment

Yeah but as long as Calzaghe beats Taylor, Hopkins or Wright he is beating the best of his era (in his division). People will be able to argue he never fought a brilliant prime fighter but he still beat the best of his era.

The fight that would probably bring him most respect is Miranda or Wright me thinks.

Comment

He should go for Either Hopkins or Tarver. What about Glen Johnson at SMW? would that sell in USA?

Comment

I wonna see Joe foght taylor...that would be a good fight

Comment

Working...
                  X