Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am pretty sure we will never see footage of Harry Greb...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am pretty sure we will never see footage of Harry Greb...

I am or was in contact with a guy who is very well connected within fight collectors. (I mean I am also well connected as far as fight films and boxing docus are concerned, but I mean this guy is REALLY well connected)
    I won't say his name cause it doesn't really matter but he played a mayor role in creating the ESPN Boxing library, so he has access to more old boxing Newsreels or other old boxing fights than pretty much anyone else. And this man told me there REALLY is no footage of Harry Greb.
    So....for all of us still thinking that some day we might sit on a couch and watch rare, previously unseen footage of Greb (or Langford or Charley Burley), ....I have to tell you guys I don't see it happening...

There was definitely fight footage of Greb vs Tunney. The late Jim Jacobs, one of the most important figures in the sport's history when it comes to boxing footage, talked about this in an interview. He found somebody who had the footage and the person send it through mail to Jacobs but it got lost on the way over and was never found again. Huge kick in the nads for old school boxing fans.

Comment

I would like to personally torture every postal worker who handled that footage. That's all kinds of messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
        I would like to personally torture every postal worker who handled that footage. That's all kinds of messed up.
        Id like to second that motion!

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
          There was definitely fight footage of Greb vs Tunney. The late Jim Jacobs, one of the most important figures in the sport's history when it comes to boxing footage, talked about this in an interview. He found somebody who had the footage and the person send it through mail to Jacobs but it got lost on the way over and was never found again. Huge kick in the nads for old school boxing fans.
          I know about that "interview". But listen-the person I had contact with is Steve Lott, a close friend of Tyson and a guy who was in the Tyson camp from the beginning. So he knows everything about Jim Jacobs and Lott himself told me THERE IS NO footage of Harry Greb. I even asked him about that interview of Jim Jacobs (which is some shady stuff which is on one website and nowhere else), and Lott made it very clear I can forget that interview

Comment

Let me guess, you talked to him on Tysontalk.com? Steve "can't let go" Lott isn't the least bitter source you can use, lets just put it that way.

And of cource there is no footage because the one piece of footage that was made of a Greb fight has been lost, as you know.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
              Let me guess, you talked to him on Tysontalk.com? Steve "can't let go" Lott isn't the least bitter source you can use, lets just put it that way.

And of cource there is no footage because the one piece of footage that was made of a Greb fight has been lost, as you know.
              no, I didn't. I never even heard of that site.
              I have his personal (verified) email address and talked to him on facebook.

Comment

I've seen alot of footage of Greb, just not of his pro fights. There are alot of footage of him training and posing for cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by atomicsad View Post
                  I've seen alot of footage of Greb, just not of his pro fights. There are alot of footage of him training and posing for cameras.
                  that is that one or two Newsreel(s) of Greb. But that is not fight footage.

Comment

the greb - walker fight was filmed, but the 1920's film has decomposed to the point of being completely useless.

Comment

Working...
                    X