Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd ain't for Legacy only for money and easy, winnable fights.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
    You keep telling yourself that bro, we'll see on May 5th.
    This is an older, fatter version of the Cotto that struggled with Clottey 3 years ago. Don't kid yourself, no way he wins more than 3 rounds.

Comment

• Mayweather has said it before. He is a prize fighter and only in it for the money

Comment

The old Cotto would not have beaten a prime Mayweather imo.

However, I think this version of Cotto has a real chance against this version of Mayweather. Floyd is no longer at his best. As Freddie Roach says, he lost his legs, and like RJJ before him mobility was a huge part of his armoury. I'm not saying there is going to be an upset, just that it won't surprise me if there is.
        Naw.

RJ lost his legs and reflexes yeah but he didnt have half the boxing ability that Floyd has. RJ didnt have the boxing ability to fall back on like Hopkins did.

Floyd even now is still the BEST fighter on the planet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cigarillo View Post
          Naw.

RJ lost his legs and reflexes yeah but he didnt have half the boxing ability that Floyd has. RJ didnt have the boxing ability to fall back on like Hopkins did.

RJJ lost his reflexes because the guy made an idiot move and cut 26lbs of muscle in 6 weeks. He spent millions on his newly acquired HW physique and ruined it to prove an ego point.

Floyd Mayweather has experienced no such debilitating blow.

Roach was the man criticizing Floyd for moving around the ring .. according to Roach "too much".

Now that Floyd has shown that he can stand and deliver, Roach contradicts his own criticism.

Its desperation at its finest. Just watch the last episode of "On Freddie". He had a fit when fans told him the truth about the JMM robbery.

His health doesn't allow him to have a poker face anymore. His heart is all over his sleeve .. and so is his desperation to hide the true distinctions between Floyd and Manny.

LOL@ lost his legs and scared. Did Manny lose his legs and power against JMM? Hahahahaha ...

Comment

• Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
            I don't think Cotto would have ever beaten Mayweather, and it's funny that people forget it was Cotto and TR saying from 04-06 that they didn't want to throw Cotto in with Mayweather yet, because "Cotto isn't ready for Floyd". Both Floyd and Cotto are past their prime-still good right now. I think Cotto has a real shot to trouble Mayweather at 154 and muscle Floyd around. I wouldn't be surprised if we got past the first 6 rounds and it was 57-57 ont he cards. But, I really believe that after that, Floyd may shut out the fight, making it a pretty wide 117-111 win against Cotto, which would add something to his legacy at least. It's important for Floyd to get Cotto on his resume while he's still good, and it doesn't hurt that he's doing it at 154 lbs.

I don't think Floyd's legs are "gone". It seemed like after the Marquez fight, he started fighting more toe-to-toe than usual. He basically walked Mosley down 90% of that fight and he was wlaking Ortiz down at least 75% of those first 4 rounds, with great success in both fights. I think Floyd's legs aren't what they use to be from 98'-07', but they are still fresh enough to get out of danger most of the time. Ali's legs after thet 3 1/2 year layoff weren't what they use to be from 63-67, but he still had freshe nough legs to dance some of the time during his fights. He just couldn't dance and stay on his toes the whole fight anymore.

I still think Floyd can fight at a high level for 2 more years, 3-4 more fights.
            Whatever the reason for it he's standing in front of his opponent much more now and that's giving his opponents a much better shot at landing cleanly on him, both Mosley and Ortiz got through with punches they likely wouldn't have a few years back.

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
            This is an older, fatter version of the Cotto that struggled with Clottey 3 years ago. Don't kid yourself, no way he wins more than 3 rounds.
            Everyone talks about Cotto's decline but he showed a lot of mobility and intelligent boxing in his last bout. Sure he may not be as good as he was, but neither is Floyd imo and that's something that is overlooked by many. You mention Clottey but styles make fights and I expect a close fight between these versions of Mayweather and Cotto.

Originally posted by Cigarillo View Post
            Naw.

I agree that Mayweather is a better pure boxer than RJJ and will likely have greater longevity for that reason but he is there to be hit much more now whereas at one point in his career he was almost untouchable. My money would still be on FMJ to win, but this bout will imo be far from one way traffic.
            Last edited by Weebler I; 03-07-2012, 01:47 PM.

Comment

I can see that for sure. While he's not what he once was, he's still good. He's still quick, still got good hand speed, still pretty good footwork. I mean, he just came off a 16 month layoff, out landed the #2 ranked WW (Floyd was off the rankings obviously) by like 50 something punches in 4 rounds, and peopole said he was "rusty".

I think Floyd should fight his last fight in Late 2013. I'd like to see him finish with Cotto, Pacquiao, Martinez, and Alvarez/Kirkland.
              He is all of the bold but as time passes all of that slowly decreases. The best things he has going for him is that he has and uses his fundamentals and arguably the smartest boxer in the game inside that ring. IMO PBF doesn't even need/have to fight Kirkland or Alvarez which I know you know. Finishing undefeated with Cotto, Martinez and Manny as his last 3 fights. He should just walk away and give his haters and detractors his @ss to kiss!!

Comment

Whatever the reason for it he's standing in front of his opponent much more now and that's giving his opponents a much better shot at landing cleanly on him, both Mosley and Ortiz got through with punches they likely wouldn't have a few years back.

Everyone talks about Cotto's decline but he showed a lot of mobility and intelligent boxing in his last bout. Sure he may not be as good as he was, but neither is Floyd imo and that's something that is overlooked by many. You mention Clottey but styles make fights and I expect a close fight between these versions of Mayweather and Cotto.

I agree that Mayweather is a better pure boxer than RJJ and will likely have greater longevity for that reason but he is there to be hit much more now whereas at one point in his career he was almost untouchable. My money would still be on FMJ to win, but this bout will imo be far from one way traffic.
                Yes, Shane got 2 big punches through in that fight, and aside from the 2nd round, Floyd dominated. Victor had brief moments in the 2nd and near the end of the 4th, but the rest of the fight was all Mayweather. Victor wasn't even on pace to land over 80 punches in that fight.

Floyd's D is still sharp, but I agree that staying infront of his opponents more than usual is what he's been doing the past 2 fights. Still, even in Floyd's prime, he wasn't running around the ring with people. He used more movement than he does now, but he wasn't running around like so many ignorant Floyd haters claim.

Floyd is still the best best fighter in the world.

If I had to compare where I think Floyd is in his career to where others were, I'd say he's like where Ali was in 73' or where Leonard was in 87'-88'. He has a few more fights left where I think he can fight at a top level.
                Last edited by 4Corners; 03-07-2012, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• The proverb that says you can’t have the cake and eat it, is what comes to my mind when i think about the way Floyd handles his career. There’s is no doubt that he’s got great skills, that’s why i believe that Pacquiao is the only fighter that can give him problems, their opposite styles would make one of the greatest fight in the history of the sport.

The Legends of this sport have all fought the best fighters available and most of the time, they fought them more than once, even if they new they were going to be in a war for 15 rounds and risk their life. That’s why it wouldn’t be fair for those warriors to let a boxer, who hasn’t fought the best fighters or the fighters that can make him suffer, have is name in that list of Legends.

Time is running against Floyd, he can do whatever is good for him in terms of choosing his opponents and having a relatively safe career, he has the right to do it, it would still be a great career. In the end he will be rich, with good health , undefeated, but won’t be considered a Legend like Sugar Ray Robinson or other greats who went threw hell to get that respect.

Comment

Yes, Shane got 2 big punches through in that fight, and aside from the 2nd round, Floyd dominated. Victor had brief moments in the 2nd and near the end of the 4th, but the rest of the fight was all Mayweather. Victor wasn't even on pace to land over 80 punches in that fight.

Floyd's D is still sharp, but I agree that staying infront of his opponents more than usual is what he's been doing the past 2 fights. Still, even in Floyd's prime, he wasn't running around the ring with people. He used more movement than he does now, but he wasn't running around like so many ignorant Floyd haters claim.

Floyd is still the best best fighter in the world.

If I had to compare where I think Floyd is in his career to where others were, I'd say he's like where Ali was in 73' or where Leonard was in 87'-88'. He has a few more fights left where I think he can fight at a top level.
                    Far more movement. He's literally walking towards his opponents now and trading with them. Whatever way you cut it that leaves him more vulnerable.

As for how many more fights FMJ has, well I think you're going to see an RJJ situation where Floyd fights through his 40s to try to keep making money. It would be sad to see and I hope it doesn't end up there but imo he needs to kick that gambling habit because no one beats the house.

I don't really know who the best fighter in the world is right now, Wlad and Ward probably have the tightest hold over their divisions at the moment. Mayweather and Pacquiao both have each other blocking the way to outright supremacy at 147lbs. If I was to choose one it would probably be Andre Ward, as fighter of the year that makes sense.

Comment

• Floyd: "Ali should have ducked Frazier like im ducking Pacquiao right now"

that in itself speaks alot about who floyd is

A b1tch

Comment

Working...
                      X