No announcement yet.

Marciano considered a heavy hitter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marciano considered a heavy hitter?

I mean back in rockys time they used 6 ounce gloves, so I guess he was a heavy hitter in his day. But now? Idk compared to all the heavy hitters after him, I dont think he is a heavy hitter now.

Agreed, John Ruiz hits much harder.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
      I mean back in rockys time they used 6 ounce gloves, so I guess he was a heavy hitter in his day. But now? Idk compared to all the heavy hitters after him, I dont think he is a heavy hitter now.
      Marciano was a murderous puncher

Comment

i think dempsey,joe louis,tyson,wladimir were/are much harder punchers than rocky ever was.
        but rocky had great stamina, and could threw 15 rounds long powerpunches.
        soon or later his opponents were hurt.
        if rocky would have fought sonny liston in 55, he would be 49-1 now.
        he was smart to retire without getting beat by the big bear
        nightmare for the rock to fight someone with a reach of 84".

Comment

I woulod say he was a good puncher but also an overrated bum:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=195982

Comment

Originally posted by T3dBundy View Post
            i think dempsey,joe louis,tyson,wladimir were/are much harder punchers than rocky ever was.
            86" reach was what Liston had

Comment

Originally posted by T3dBundy View Post
              Liston was struggling with light heavyweights like Marty Marshall in 1955. He was still very crude and amateurish at that point, until coming back from jail in 1958 when Marciano was already long retired.

Dempsey admitted that Rocky was a harder puncher than he was.

Comment

Rocky's thing was to wear down opponents with non stop numbing blows, and YES, he was a hard & relentless hitter with both hands.. However, I wouldn't say he had early one shot killing power like Liston, Tyson or Foreman..

A fight between Liston and Marciano would have been legendary.. Had that been the Rock's 50th fight, I think he may have retired with a blemish.. Prime for prime though, I'd back Marciano to take his heart..

Comment

big bad Charles "Sonny" Liston would have bludgeoned Marciano,I can't think of a greater mismatch than Sonny Liston against Louis,Frazier,Dempsey and Marciano especially.

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                  Prime for prime though, I'd back Marciano to take his heart..

An obvious dig at Liston here,guess what Malone? Liston wasn't in his prime against Cassius Clay.Prime Sonny Liston didn't quit and he would never even be in a position to quit against Marciano.

Comment

Originally posted by Princemanspopa View Post
                    big bad Charles "Sonny" Liston would have bludgeoned Marciano,I can't think of a greater mismatch than Sonny Liston against Louis,Frazier,Dempsey and Marciano especially.

An obvious dig at Liston here,guess what Malone? Liston wasn't in his prime against Cassius Clay.Prime Sonny Liston didn't quit and he would never even be in a position to quit against Marciano.
                    The thread's about Marciano, you spanner.. At what point did I bring Clay into it?.... But now you come to mention it lol, I'll play your silly guessing game & assume that you think Liston was prime when he beat Patterson the 1st time, but not prime when he lost the 1st time to Clay?

Comment

Working...
                    X