No announcement yet.

Donaire Aching To Fight Again

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donaire Aching To Fight Again

Nonito himself posted this at his FB page. I don't know what to make of it regarding his next opponent. It's saying something that it doesn't say at all.

Donaire Aching To Fight Again

By NICK GIONGCO

December 27, 2012, 7:02pm

Nonito Donaire is itching to get back into the ring and his manager said Thursday that they’re looking at four options for the Filipino fighter’s 2013 debut in March.

“Nonito wants to fight as soon as possible,” Camerin Dunkin told the Bulletin from the US, almost two weeks after Donaire’s sensational third-round demolition of Jorge Arce in Houston.

Dunkin said they’re eyeing Cuban Guillermo Rigondeaux and Mexican-American Abner Mares and two other guys whose names he wants under wraps at the moment.

Donaire, who has overtaken Manny Pacquiao in the top ten ratings of pound-for-pound boxers, wants no less than four fights next year and his promoter, Top Rank chief Bob Arum, is also on the same page.

Donaire was superb in mauling the durable Arce before a sizeable crowd at the Toyota Center as the 30-year-old Bay Area-based puncher needed just one blow – a left hook – that sent Arce into retirement.

This year alone, Donaire fought four times, overwhelming Wilfredo Vazquez of Puerto Rico, Jeffrey Mathebula of South Africa and Toshiaki Nishioka of Japan and of course Arce last Dec. 15.

Arum is already on vacation mode but he and Dunkin had discussed what’s down the road for Donaire.

Arum, 81, is travelling to Cape Town in South Africa with his wife Lovee and will be back after the holidays.

With Pacquiao at the tailend of an exemplary career, Donaire is being groomed to succeed him and aficionados have already selected him as the sure winner for the coveted award of 2012’s best boxer, an accolade Pacquiao had won several times.
    Sorry if this story has already been posted here.

It doesn't surprise me, seeing as how Arce presented absolutely ZERO threat. He could've fought two opponents that night.

Comment

I'm confident that the Rigondeaux fight will happen.

I hear there's talk of a move to 126 but I don't think he will before he fights either Rigondeaux or maybe, maybe Mares.

I'm keeping my hopes up for that fight despite it being unlikely.

Comment

Donaire is a true fighter. I think he'll fight either Mares or Rigo at some point during 2013 but before that he'll take on a couple ranked super bantams, extend his championship run and then take the big money fight(s). I'd love to see Donaire/Mares summer 2013.

Comment

Can't wait for Donaire-Mijares.

Comment

If he moves to 126 without fighting Rigondeaux or Mares, it hurts his 122 resume. He has two wins I consider notable at 122, Mathebula and Nishioka. Vazquez and Arce were ehhhh at best.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              I'm confident that the Rigondeaux fight will happen.

I hear there's talk of a move to 126 but I don't think he will before he fights either Rigondeaux or maybe, maybe Mares.

I'm keeping my hopes up for that fight despite it being unlikely.
              His father in law said that it's almost 70% made which will be at Macau in April or May. Steve Kim says it's Chris John and this article from Donaire himself says nothing.

Comment

Really hoping the Rigo fight happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Kadyo View Post
                  His father in law said that it's almost 70% made which will be at Macau in April or May. Steve Kim says it's Chris John and this article from Donaire himself says nothing.
                  In the thread regarding Donaire-John a poster said that Chris John's trainer has denied it.

I don't see Chris John fighting Donaire anyway.

It seems everyone is on board with Donaire-Rigondeaux and it's easy to make. I see that happening next year.

I'd rather Mares but I'll take Rigondeaux.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Kadyo View Post
                    He's going to fight in China?

Comment

Working...
                    X