Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

greater legacy... dela hoya or calzaghe?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greater legacy... dela hoya or calzaghe?

joe's most popular victories were against over the hill hopkins and jones but oscar got those kind of wins too against pea and jcc... so aside from those victories, who do u think has had the better career?

I'd say my brother Poet had a better boxing career than both he polished legends such as Alis penis after they fought

Comment

Oscar was the better fighter, will be remembered as the greater fighter, and should be ranked higher on any ATG list.

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
        joe's most popular victories were against over the hill hopkins and jones but oscar got those kind of wins too against pea and jcc... so aside from those victories, who do u think has had the better career?
        no doubt about it in my mind delahoya has had the better career,not to take anything away from joe as joe is a good fighter,but between the 2 oscar fought everyone in all those different weight classes and cleaned house,although he lost a few near the end of his career,against fighters i think he would of won in his prime,he still displayed good action throughout his hall of fame career

Comment

Calzaghe will be remembered as greater because he's a national icon - DLH was only a box office icon.

Comment

^ LMAO that was funny.

This is not even close. Joe Calzaghe doesn't even deserve to be mentioned on the same piece of paper as Oscar De La Hoya. Oscar fought the best whenever he could. Joe waited til the end of their careers. Even though I still think Whitaker beat him, but Oscar and it's not even close. Bigger legacy, beat some real solid names through his career.

Think about this, without 40+ year olds Hopkins & Roy Jones, what would Joe Calzaghe's record look like? He won't wouldn't even make the top 200 greatest of all time. His biggest win that's even better then Hopkins & Roy Jones is Mikkel Kessller and I give him credit for that, but after that who the hell did he beat? Sakio Bika? Peter Manfredo? Get the **** out of here.

Comment

Years from now De La Hoya will be better regarded in historic terms I'm sure.

Calzaghe was a great fighter with a superb record and longevity, undefeated too. The thing is........I just cant see a British southpaw (not perceived as being heavy handed.....to Americans at least!) being destined for boxing immortality in the view of most fans worldwide.

De La Hoya transgressed the sport for over 15 years fighting many top 10 pound for pound contenders!

Poor Joe barely transgressed Wales until the twilight of his career, not his fault of course. He certainly deserved his own pound for pound ranking (I've seen him as high as 3 at one point). He is one of the best Super middleweights of all time, probably has the best record at this weight too! He is certainly a HOF champion but I think history will be kinder to Oscar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                Years from now De La Hoya will be better regarded in historic terms I'm sure.

Calzaghe was a great fighter with a superb record and longevity, undefeated too. The thing is........I just cant see a British southpaw (not perceived as being heavy handed.....to Americans at least!) being destined for boxing immortality in the view of most fans worldwide.

De La Hoya transgressed the sport for over 15 years fighting many top 10 pound for pound contenders!

Poor Joe barely transgressed Wales until the twilight of his career, not his fault of course. He certainly deserved his own pound for pound ranking (I've seen him as high as 3 at one point). He is one of the best Super middleweights of all time, probably has the best record at this weight too! He is certainly a HOF champion but I think history will be kinder to Oscar.
                I agree, De La Hoya transgendered the sport, but Joe Calzaghe transgressed sports. Joe Calzaghe is an icon. he was never beat. Wow, good job De La Hoya...losing at least 6 times. Also I love how people are like, wellit was towards the end of his career etc...Joe C had more fights and was older when he fought Bhop and Jones Jr than when De La Hoya ended his career.

Bhop punished oscar and joe embarassed Bhop, forcing him to fake low blows and even mma dry humped him in the ring.

Oh and Oscar was 31 when he faced a 40 year old Bhop. Joe was 35 when he faced a 43 year old Bhop...

Man Joe C is the greatest of all time. OF ALL TIME. He never got beat. He couldnt even spar because his hands were gone, but he still won. he was past prime at 29, but still he won and people cant handle that.

Comment

good post......

Hey man. This is a good post. One question I have for you though......"although he lost a few near the end of his career,against fighters i think he would of won in his prime,"

Who are you talking about here? PACQUIAO, MAYWEATHER? If so, I agree. OSCAR was awesome! He made millionaires out of a lot of fighters. He was very unselfish and humble. But, I've been watching a lot of his prime fights as of late...........OBA CARR, CAMPAS, MOSLEY 2, TRINIDAD, RUELAS, CASTIJAYO, QUARTEY. These are the type of fights that make you great and remembered in history. OSCAR knew this. This is what's missing today. He would have beaten MAYWEATHER comfortably and K.O.ed MANNY EASY! You agree?

Comment

Well I'm gonna be one hated mo'fo but........

As far as I'm concerned De La Hoya is probably one of the most overrated fighters I've ever seen.
                    Now that DOESN'T mean I'm saying he was rubbish, but most people go on as if he's the GOAT. He's a decent fighter, but not even close to being the best of his generation let alone anything else.

I swear to god in 10 years or so if anyone is still talking about De La Hoya for any other reason than the Olympic Gold and Golden Boy Promotions. Then I'll go nuts.

Although saying that De La Hoya will have the greater legacy thanks to the Gold & the Promoting.

Comment

Working...
                    X