Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather has to fight elite welters, but Pac doesn't have to fight elite JWWs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather has to fight elite welters, but Pac doesn't have to fight elite JWWs?

Seems like a double standard.

Boxing fans cry that Floyd doesn't clean out the welterweight division and he needs to fight elite welters instead of just taking money fights. But I don't hear anyone calling for Manny to do that.

Why doesn't anyone cry for Manny to fight the Tim Bradleys of the world?Simple. Because Floyd is held to a higher standard.

Let's say that 147 is Floyd's natural division and 140 is Pacquiao's. They both moved up one class above their natural weight to get a title (DLH and Cotto). But after Floyd beat Oscar, everyone cried that he needed to face legit elite welters, including me. But now that Manny has gone up the scales similarly to Floyd, he doesn't have to clean out divisions or fight the best in his natural division to gain respect. Instead, people think Manny should just be able to take big money fights and retire.

To be honest, I could care less. Pacquiao-Mayweather is the only fight that really matters right now. It's just amazing how these double standards work.

Floyd gets no credit for going up the scales, winning titles, and making superfights, because he's not cleaning out divisions. On the flip side, Manny gets maximum credit for doing the same thing.

It goes to show how far being an ******* gets you.

Who was the best JRWW this year and who was the best WW this year?

Who BEAT the best JRWW this year and who BEAT the best WW this year?

What division is Floyd in? What division was Floyd's last opponent in?

Comment

Originally posted by dans01234 View Post

Boxing fans cry that Floyd doesn't clean out the welterweight division and he needs to fight elite welters instead of just taking money fights. But I don't hear anyone calling for Manny to do that.

Why doesn't anyone cry for Manny to fight the Tim Bradleys of the world?Simple. Because Floyd is held to a higher standard.

Let's say that 147 is Floyd's natural division and 140 is Pacquiao's. They both moved up one class above their natural weight to get a title (DLH and Cotto). But after Floyd beat Oscar, everyone cried that he needed to face legit elite welters, including me. But now that Manny has gone up the scales similarly to Floyd, he doesn't have to clean out divisions or fight the best in his natural division to gain respect. Instead, people think Manny should just be able to take big money fights and retire.

To be honest, I could care less. Pacquiao-Mayweather is the only fight that really matters right now. It's just amazing how these double standards work.

Floyd gets no credit for going up the scales, winning titles, and making superfights, because he's not cleaning out divisions. On the flip side, Manny gets maximum credit for doing the same thing.

ricky hatton isnt an elite JWW?
      cotto >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any elite JWW

Comment

I'd love to understand like everyone else; why one gets criticized and the other doesn't.

Comment

At the time Hatton was the top junior welter weight. Pacquiao fought him and so did Mayweather. Pacquiao fought one of the best welterweight in cotto and won. Who else would you want PAcquiao to fight?

Comment

Originally posted by dans01234 View Post

this post honestly doesn't make any sense

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy! View Post
              I'd love to understand like everyone else; why one gets criticized and the other doesn't.
              Floyds attitude hurts him in this regard.

The thing you can't take from Floyd is, he doesn't need to rely on weightdraining his opponents.

But what they're both guilty of is avoiding the tough fights and picking shot and worn out fighters.

Difference is, Manny and Roach drain them too.

Comment

Originally posted by 2501 View Post

still waiting

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post
                  Floyds attitude hurts him in this regard.

The thing you can't take from Floyd is, he doesn't need to rely on weightdraining his opponents.

But what they're both guilty of is avoiding the tough fights and picking shot and worn out fighters.

Difference is, Manny and Roach drain them too.
                  Not only Jr WW. What did he do at 135?

Comment

Originally posted by 2501 View Post

Originally posted by Bogler View Post
                    ricky hatton isnt an elite JWW?
                    cotto >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any elite JWW
                    I didn't say that Manny didn't beat the top guys. I'm saying that people expect Floyd Mayweather to be cleaning out divisions, but not Manny.

Before Floyd retired he took on De La Hoya and Hatton. This was after the Judah and Baldomir fights (who at the time, were top welterweights).

Now comparing with Pacquiao. He beat David Diaz at 135, then went up for super fights with DLH and Hatton, just like Mayweather. And again, I don't blame Pac for taking those fights. But no one said "Oh Pac has to beat an elite LW, or clean out LW or JWW" did they? No, because people like Manny Pacquiao.

Comment

Working...
                    X