No announcement yet.

Toronto Boxing Gyms

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Boxing Gyms

Anyone familiar with the Toronto boxing scene? Which gyms are worth checking out?

Solly's at Dupont and Davenport (I think) is THE gym. It's held brutal sparring matches there since about the fifties (or even before). It's where Ali would train for his fights with Georgie Chuvalo.

There is also a gym right at Yonge and Bloor that's not bad. Florida Jack's is the name. They do actually train you to fight. And they hold white collar competition's as well as encourage you to actually fight -- not just to train.

Other than that all of the great ones closed down. When Newsboys left Queen and Parliament I cried. lol

Comment

Thanks man, I've heard of Florida Jack's but I've never heard of Solly's, I'll certainly check that one out. Do you train there?

Comment

Originally posted by Shenker View Post
        Thanks man, I've heard of Florida Jack's but I've never heard of Solly's, I'll certainly check that one out. Do you train there?
        its called Sully's and its one Wade (i think) off lansdowne just north of Bloor

Comment

Not sure what sort of gym you are looking for, but will assume one associated with boxing Ontario and active with them. Sully`s is tho I am not familiar with them, and Florida Jacks has a few fighters that I know of that fight on the am circuit.

There are a lot of gyms around T.O., so you are lucky to be there. Some of them are very active so I`ll post a list of clubs, and if you want you can PM me and ask about any and I can tell you what I know about them, as in if they are active with fighters or not.

http://www.boxingontario.com/web_pag..._directory.php

This list will have all their numbers and contact information so you can also call them and see what they are about and if it meets your needs.

Comment

A couple people from my club went there several months ago for sparring. I was only there for one night, but I don't think it's true what the guy above said about the brutal sparring that goes on there. Even if their coaches told them before to take it easy because we're from a different club, I think once they get in the ring it's going to be hard for them to go alot lighter than their used to once punches start flying.

It was good hard sparring, but no more intense than any other gym I've been to. Everyone was just taking advantage of the oppourtunity to go against people they aren't used to.

Comment

I'm also looking for a gym in Toronto. I know almost nothing about training at this point, but I'm wondering how to tell apart those gym's where I can gain a solid foundation in boxing skills and those gym's whose programs are geared toward yuppie mom's trying to get in shape. Any advice?

Comment

Working...
              X