Cotto Vs. Quartey

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotto Vs. Quartey

How would this fight play out?
    Could Cotto work around Ike's jab and left hook?
    How about Ike Quartey's guard, could he use his tight guard to block Cotto's body shots with his elbows?

IMO Quartey wins a clear UD, with Cotto possibly being knocked down.

Quartey jab, guard, LHK > Cotto's

147 vs 147

I'd also like to read your opinions on a 154 lb fight.
    Quartey wins by KO
    30.77%
    Cotto wins by KO
    15.38%
    Quartey wins by UD
    38.46%
    Cotto wins by UD
    15.38%
    Last edited by montoya_91; 06-05-2012, 09:21 PM. Reason: 147/154

I agree with your opinion.

I think Quartey does what Clottey did and then some. Quartey's jab would be the deciding factor.

Keep in mind, the only fighter to ever clearly beat Quartey was Winky Wright.

Other than that, Quartey definitely beat Forrest and arguably beat DLH and Vargas.

Comment

Quartey was a very good fighter. To give you an example, he was off for a year and a half, and gave an undefeated, prime DLH hell. He arguably won (DLH gave away too many rounds IMO and was fortunate to win) and inarguably gave DLH an extremely tough fight.

I think Quartey wins a decision. Some of Quartey's weaknesses, like fading late, well I don't think Cotto can quite take advantage of it. Cotto is no Joe Frazier when it comes to stamina himself.

Comment

I think Quartey slices up Cotto over the full twelve to win a UD. Ike was a beast and mentally strong too -he didn't wilt or cave late in a fight. Even when Hoya had him out on his feet in the 12th, he was still trying to fight back, lol. And for the record, I had Ike winning against Oscar and Forrest, but not Vargas.

I miss Ike. Another highly entertaining boxer-puncher. Bazooka!

Comment

Originally posted by 2Shotz View Post
          I think Quartey slices up Cotto over the full twelve to win a UD. Ike was a beast and mentally strong too -he didn't wilt or cave late in a fight. Even when Hoya had him out on his feet in the 12th, he was still trying to fight back, lol. And for the record, I had Ike winning against Oscar and Forrest, but not Vargas.

I miss Ike. Another highly entertaining boxer-puncher. Bazooka!
          I also thought Ike won against Lopez, he jabbed the crap out of him. Ike was pretty unlucky on the cards. DLH gave away so many of the middle rounds against Ike, doing nothing, and somehow the judges scored it that Oscar could have lost the 12th round and still not lost the fight.

Comment

Ike is a better similar version of clotey with a very dangerous JAB... Cotto was able to break tru cloteys tight defense, but Joshua didn't have the jab that Ike carried. That being said I see as a 50/50 fight. I'm a big fan of both warriors if I had to choose I'd say Ike bazooka! UD.

Comment

Quartey wins at 147 or 154. Cotto is not a true 154 and is best at 147. Quartey was better than Cotto in lots of ways. He had a better chin, and an even better jab. His right was harder and he had better stamina. I never saw Quartey run away like Cotto has done in a few fights. Quartey by late round KO.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
                I agree with your opinion.

I think Quartey does what Clottey did and then some. Quartey's jab would be the deciding factor.

Keep in mind, the only fighter to ever clearly beat Quartey was Winky Wright.

Other than that, Quartey definitely beat Forrest and arguably beat DLH and Vargas.
                One can't possibly make a case for Quartey winning the Vargas fight, that was a clear win for Vargas.

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
                  I also thought Ike won against Lopez, he jabbed the crap out of him. Ike was pretty unlucky on the cards. DLH gave away so many of the middle rounds against Ike, doing nothing, and somehow the judges scored it that Oscar could have lost the 12th round and still not lost the fight.
                  Exactly. I still believed til this day that that loss to DLH kinda took something out of Ike in the sense that he just didnt have the passion for the sport anymore, I think being robbed the way he was probably just made him lose interest in the sport IMO.
                  Last edited by La_Vibora; 06-06-2012, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X