No announcement yet.

Guillermo Rigondeaux; FACTS!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
    He doesn't suck. Notice he looked really good for about 3-4 rounds. But you can see the same pattern with guys with top notch amateur training: Yudel Johnson, Ugas, Despaigne, Luis Ortiz...
    Gamboa, Rigo and Lara too right?

Comment

• Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
      Rigo at least got an amateur pedigree for him and other people to brag about. Wtf does Canelo have to brag about? That he's a Mexican redhead with freckles?

Believe it or not people get hyped about great amateurs, sometimes they succeed sometimes they dont. Look at Golovkin and people can't wait for Lomachenko to turn pro. The list goes on...
      That's with any Pro boxer. You guys are talking about Rigondeux's amateur career like it has made him HOF worthy before fighting anyone of significance.

Comment

• Love how he only named the lesser Cubans who didn't have that greater success. Hey you forgot to add Barthelemy lol!

Though Luis Ortiz is doing perfectly fine and on the verge of a world title eliminator.

Comment

• Originally posted by jab2theballs View Post
          That's with any Pro boxer. You guys are talking about Rigondeux's amateur career like it has made him HOF worthy before fighting anyone of significance.

It pretty much did.

Why wouldn't he get into the HOF? Along with Savon, Stevenson etc? Laslo Papp got in for pretty much nothing but his 3 golds!

Its not like guys haven't got in for a hell of a lot less.

Guys in there who have never even laced up a glove ffs

These are the best amateurs to ever live, I see no reason why guys achieving 2-3 olympic golds and multiple world championships shouldn't get in. But its not like he only has his amateur achievements to fall back on, is it? Hes making noise in those pro ranks.

Comment

• Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
            Gamboa, Rigo and Lara too right?
            Not those guys. I'm not trying to hate on the Cubans, it's a noticeable pattern though, I just gave you a few names who didn't suffer from weak amateur training. Whether it's a lack of conditioning, or them being pushed too fast into 8/10 rounders, probably both.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
              Because he isn't a one dimensional bum, its the art of hitting & not getting hit.
              He got on his toes & was creating angles, making him miss, making him pay. Corboda wanted a tear up, why would Rigo want to fight Corboda's fight? When he could stick & move & box his way to an easy world title win?

You may call it boring, running and whatever else, I just sat is oar of what amazing footwork he has.

Wasn't it his first fight under a new trainer too?
              You're embarrassing yourself, now you're defending all out running cause you're on this guy's jock so hard. I was rooting for Rigo, but by the end of the fight I didn't give a **** if he won or lost, and he made it an awful close call with the judges.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                Love how he only named the lesser Cubans who didn't have that greater success. Hey you forgot to add Barthelemy lol!

Though Luis Ortiz is doing perfectly fine and on the verge of a world title eliminator.
                In all fairness, some of these guys need a little time. I agree, none of the names listed appear to have star potential, but they're all still relatively green in the pros. Practically all anyone ever cares about are the "elite." Only a tiny fraction of all fighters can become that, hence the term. But being respectable is good, too. There are only so many Rigos and Gamboas born every decade.

If you look at Boxrec and examine how many Mexicans there are in every division, the numbers are astounding. Even Puerto Ricans, with a far smaller population, have more professional representation in boxing than Cubans. Yet, how many JMMs are there? How many Cottos? Both those lands produce many fighters, some of them great. The point is, no one produces nothing but star material. Let's be real here.

Comment

• Pros and Amateurs are different! I would like for him to beat Donaire but I highly doubt it.

Comment

• Originally posted by jab2theballs View Post
                    Me? Show me 1 fkin post of me talking about Rigo's amateur career or bragging about it... tool.

Comment

• Rigo should not have a problem with Donaires style because he's very simular to alot of amatuer styled stances and form. However we don't know how Donaire is going to attack! If Rigo wants to move to his right and use his jab to see Donaires reaction he will be moving toward Donaires hook and thats probably a bad idea! Moving left will put them into a back hand whose first fight! I think that's how it will go!!! If Rigo gives to much ground he can't win a distance fight. If his left can get there before Donaires right he may be able to control Donaires movements. This should be a "chess fight" righty/lefty and who can get off first!

I personally think that their jabs will dictate the outcome! Both are very good Rigo's experience is deep but the long amatuer time can go against him in distance bouts, I've seen that happen. I also feel that Donaire gets out of sorts at times (excited) and can open up his defences.

Good fighters, should be a solid fight and an interesting one. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                      X