Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you like to see Boxing move to the fast track like MMA???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fast tracking can happen in boxing, but not to the highest level.

You can fast track a fighter from C - B, but the jump from there to Elite is huge.

Case in point, Rigondeaux.

Probably the most skilled fighter and the most fast-tracked still struggled in his seventh pro fight against Cordoba which was his first real jump as far as competition level was concerned. Rigondeaux is an exceptional fighter, and Cordoba is not elite.

If you do the math, any fighter coming into the game and fighting the best in their 5th, 6th or 7th fight gets seriously taken to school.

There is just too much depth and to many wrinkles in boxing to master. The rules isolate and remove most of the crude and quick possible endings. There are no "tapouts" in boxing.
    Last edited by RA-Box; 04-05-2012, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Fernando Vargas was thrown on the fast track and look what happened to him. He was completely shot by the time he was like 27. Fast track doesn't work in boxing. Fighters need experience in 6, 8, and 10 round fights before they're ready to fight at the world class level.

A guy like Jose Benavidez is probably going to be a future champion and might be one of the best fighters of his generation, but right now if he were to fight someone like Maidana he would get murdered simply because he's 19 and isn't ready to fight a tough gatekeeper...yet.

Comment

No.

Inexperienced MMA fighters don't get their heads continually punched for 36 minutes. Taking on a challenge you're nowhere near ready for is a much bigger health risk in boxing, in my opinion.

You have to find the right balance too. Every quality boxer needs to step up at some point, or you end up with guys like Chavez Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
          Its like saying why not just take baseball players drafted from high school and college and immediately put them into the big leagues like in the NBA and NFL.

You know why that doesnt happen? Because it doesnt work
          Yup. If you look at the top teams in the NBA, their best players all have ATLEAST 4 years of experience in the NBA.

I don't really follow the NFL, so I don't know how it works there, but in the NBA, the young teams never get far.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
            You can't do that in Boxing because its a real sport unlike that gay ****.
            [IMG]http://cdn.*****************/instances/400x/17938076.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by RA-Box View Post
              Fast tracking can happen in boxing, but not to the highest level.

You can fast track a fighter from C - B, but the jump from there to Elite is huge.

Case in point, Rigondeaux.

Probably the most skilled fighter and the most fast-tracked still struggled in his seventh pro fight against Cordoba which was his first real jump as far as competition level was concerned. Rigondeaux is an exceptional fighter, and Cordoba is not elite.

If you do the math, any fighter coming into the game and fighting the best in their 5th, 6th or 7th fight gets seriously taken to school.

There is just too much depth and to many wrinkles in boxing to master. The rules isolate and remove most of the crude and quick possible endings. There are no "tapouts" in boxing.
              dunno that I agree with your post 100% but I like your post.....so you get green kay .......good job!

Comment

Originally posted by ZZZzzz....... View Post
                why not. boxing is one discipline. of course you've got different fighters with different styles, but for the most part, you can tell right off the bat who does and who doesn't belong.
                so do you think Dulorme is ready for JMM at 140?

Comment

To me it would depend on the individual fighter's amateur background, skills and age. For example if a fighter doesn't have much of an amateur background, has ok skills and is young then that guy should stick to the current boxing track. He can improve as he moves up slowly so he doesn't get hurt early in his career. This is what all boxing fans are accustomed to seeing.

Now if the fighter has a great amateur background with maybe an olympic medal, has great skills, and has some age then why not match him tough early? We've seen guys like this before. They tear through all the journeymen like nothing. Why should they go through 20+ of these guys before they can finally get a title?

A good example I think is when Holyfield defeated Qawi for the cruiserweight title. Holyfield won that title in his 12th fight. Without his extensive amateur background I don't think he could have pulled that off.

Comment

I would not like to see a young boxer get his career killed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ric Boss View Post
                      [IMG]http://cdn.*****************/instances/400x/17938076.jpg[/IMG]
                      Everything I said was true.

Comment

Working...
                      X