Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Does Hopkins Defense Rank Historically?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Does Hopkins Defense Rank Historically?

Very good defense that stresses functionality over appearance

One of the ATG defenses. Though I dont know a whole lot on the pre 1970's guys.

Hopkins is a lot like floyd in that its not just their defense they are actively doing such as slipping shots but their position/stance they maintain at all times and always keeping their chin tucked, always.

He dont get hit very cleanly in the first place but when he does he is already in a good position with his chin tucked and eyes up so he sees it coming and can brace for it. If you look at a lot of the 1 punch knockouts like Sergio over Williams and Pacquaio over Hatton and Tarver over Roy, there is two things that stand out. 1. Their chin aint tucked and so when they get hit their brains rattle around like a bobble head. 2. They never seen the punch coming. If you look at why Floyd didnt get KTFO when he took Mosley's best shot, his chin was tucked and if you watch it in slow motion he saw the punch coming, he didnt have time to move out the way but he had a split second to brace for it. Hopkins is the same way.

If you look at guys like Hatton and Williams, they had good chins, otherwise we would have seen them getting hurt more in their previous fights. They just had no defense and took a flush power shot with their head held way high they never seen.
    Last edited by elfag; 09-01-2012, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Top 20 maybe ?
      Marlon Starling
      Nicolino Locche
      Freddie Welsh
      Miguel Lora
      Pernell Whitaker
      James Toney
      Floyd Mayweather
      Wilfred Benitez
      Willie Pep
      Winky Wright

Wouldn't put him in my top 10, I'd put him in the same bag as Miguel Canto, Lionel Rose, Roberto Duran etc, great great defense but short of the top tier.

Comment

his longevity speaks to his defense but he is no willie pep

Comment

Working...
        X