Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Past Fighters that would have been great in junior divisions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
    So far all the boxers named didn't need any help at anything! I think of Iran Barkley at 158 and all the effort it took once he matured to make 160, he could have benefited from the 165 to 168 class but theres not as much money at that weight and rightfully so. I don't care for Jr. weight classes once your a top twenty fighter you need to be disciplined about your body and if its not realistic to get to a weight you move up. As for Marciano and especially Dempsey benefitting to move to a Jr. weight class thats ridiculous they were the undisputed champions of the world!!! The only benefits would be to the guys who had to fight them as heavies that didn't if they moved.
    After 176lbs your a heavyweight thats boxing, its all about desire and talent and conditioning. You can have size differences but unless you know how to use them they'll be used against you. Body strength is obviously very important but the mental strength and desires are too when all things are equal then strategy is important and a wise corner can win fights just as idiots loose them. Boxing====Chess with consequences! Ray.

can you read?

honest question.

Comment

Sugar Ray was the first thought when I read the thread title but he was named so how about Micky Walker, he could have used junior middle weight and supermiddle as well.

Comment

Henry Armstrong's ideal weight would have been 140.

Comment

Don't like Jr. classes thats my responce to them, I think their a waste and a crutch for the phoney organization to utilize having extra champions and making money off them, it hurts boxing so I offer my opinions on it. My spelling is poor my typing stinks however I read well and I offer what I want if you don't like it just skip over it. As I do to you and a few other boxing fans here. Ray

Comment

I don't think the responses are implying that the said fighters needed help in the weight classes they competed in thus would benefit per se, with a Jr or Super class.

I think it's just speculating how ideal and effective they could be were they available to them.

Comment

Cruiserweight is needed no matter how you try and slice it. Especially with the influx of super-heavyweights.

Comment

Packy McFarland would seem the obvious choice to me

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                  Packy McFarland would seem the obvious choice to me
                  Yeah seems like he was a victim of the weight class system at that time, he seems one of the only ones mentioned who needed a junior division.

Comment

Jose Napoles @ 140

you think he was great at 147 in this 30s... imagine what he could have been at 140 in his late 20s...

Comment

Working...
                    X