Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do referees give the count? Linares took 15 seconds to get up, ref counted to 10.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    I know what you're saying, but I've seen many fights where a guy got an extended amount of time because the opponent would not get in a neutral corner. I don't know what considerations were in effect for that to happen, but I've definitely seen it many times.
    That's not how it's supposed to work. The guy out of the ring keeps count.

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post
      That's not how it's supposed to work. The guy out of the ring keeps count.
      What I'm saying is, it happens sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        I know what you're saying, but I've seen many fights where a guy got an extended amount of time because the opponent would not get in a neutral corner. I don't know what considerations were in effect for that to happen, but I've definitely seen it many times.
        True a fighter will get extra time if the other fighter comes out of the neutral corner but he should not get more than 10 if the other fighter stays put after he's there. From what I could see, Loma stayed put.

Could be that the timekeeper and the ref miscommunicated the time I guess or that the timekeeper didn't start when he was supposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad_ View Post
          How do the referees give the count? Is it based on real seconds, or is it simply an estimated count from one to ten not based on any actual time span?

Because in the case of Linares, he took 15 actual seconds to get up, but the ref was only reaching the end of his ten count.
          Just as I remembered it. The ref picked up the count from the timekeeper at about seven (at least that’s the first number you can actually hear, “siete”). As I watched the vid, I knew the knockdown was coming, so I started counting the moment Linares hit the canvass. The timekeeper was maybe a second slower than me. Allowing for human variance, I would say the count was definitely fair. As others have already pointed out, it’s a steady count, approximating seconds, not using an actual stopwatch. How did you get fifteen seconds? That seems pretty high.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
            Just as I remembered it. The ref picked up the count from the timekeeper at about seven (at least that’s the first number you can actually hear, “siete”). As I watched the vid, I knew the knockdown was coming, so I started counting the moment Linares hit the canvass. The timekeeper was maybe a second slower than me. Allowing for human variance, I would say the count was definitely fair. As others have already pointed out, it’s a steady count, approximating seconds, not using an actual stopwatch. How did you get fifteen seconds? That seems pretty high.
            I posted the Youtube timeframes in the pictures, if you look on the bottom part.

Comment

I posted the Youtube timeframes in the pictures, if you look on the bottom part.
              Gotcha. Based on that clip you just posted, it looks like the ref counted 7, 8, 9, 10 in the span of about six seconds. In real-time, it didn’t seem to me the count was off by a serious amount. It was fair, in my opinion.

Comment

how bout that strange count by the ref a couple weeks ago for Jesse Hart ko over Demond Nicholson (undercard of Dogboe vs Magdaleno)

Comment

How do the referees give the count? Is it based on real seconds, or is it simply an estimated count from one to ten not based on any actual time span?

Because in the case of Linares, he took 15 actual seconds to get up, but the ref was only reaching the end of his ten count.

See pics and video below.

Linares fell at 10:39

Linares still down at 10:53, got up at 10:54

Actual video if you guys want to double check:
                  The count started late because stupid loma was hovering over him

Comment

Another thing is that technically, I'm not sure he ever stands completely upright..

4.1. A boxer shall be considered “down” when, as a result of a legal blow as ruled by the referee, who is the only person authorized to determine this, any part of their body other than their feet are on the canvas, or if they are hanging helplessly over the ropes, or if they are still rising from the down position and not standing upright.

http://www.worldboxingfederation.net...egulations.htm

Comment

Originally posted by RetroSpeed05 View Post
                      I really don't want to say Linars quit but watching this when the ref said 9 Linares was still hunched over ref didnt say 10 and gave him almost 2 more extra seconds before he called it off lol. Gave him every chance to continue but Linares body language was of a man defeated or broken.
                      No. When you get hit in the liver like that it’s almost impossible to straighten out if it hurt you badly.

That’s why you saw him go down and then kind of lean back. It looked like pain to me when he got up. Like he thought he was good and then at that moment just wasnt able to gather himself. That’s why it’s so impressive when you see guys survive shots like that.

It’s a horrendous feeling. It’s kind of desperation mode when it happens. You just kind of don’t know how to handle that kind of pain. You almost want to just cry out of frustration, man. It sucks.

That body shot was so perfect. He killed him with it. Linares looked like he was starting to dig into Loma, no way did he quit. Just straightening your legs like that to get up was probably a superhuman effort.

I never question stoppages by body shots like that. Will only goes so far.

Comment

Working...
                      X