No announcement yet.

Eddie Hearn/PBC and American Boxing needs the White Fanbase to come back

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddie Hearn/PBC and American Boxing needs the White Fanbase to come back

I am not race baiting. But if you look at the demographics of Boxing and UFC. It’s completely different. UFC has a strong white following in the US. And Boxing a strong African American/Hispanic fanbase.

If Hearn/DAZN/American Boxing wants that loud atmosphere or nationalistic following he needs a great white american fighter or a foreign one like Conor Mcgregor who can break through or boxing will just stay low viewed/rated sport in the US.

Can't white people be a fan of both in America? You shouldn't need white fighters to get the white fans back. If it is even an issue. In struggling to believe white people don't like boxing cuz of the lack of white American boxers.

But then to be fair I am British and dont know. Its not like that over here and it just seems a bit backwards to hear it could be like that in such a modern and trend setting country.

Comment

The older white US male does not stream.

We have money and will pay $79 for ease of ppv.

That is why a Dazn is not working.

Comment

Originally posted by DaNeutral. View Post
        Can't white people be a fan of both in America? You shouldn't need white fighters to get the white fans back. If it is even an issue. In struggling to believe white people don't like boxing cuz of the lack of white American boxers.

But then to be fair I am British and dont know. Its not like that over here and it just seems a bit backwards to hear it could be like that in such a modern and trend setting country.

I was dwelling on this subject for sometime and i have come to a solid conclusion... although the black fighters from the US are American of course, the white demographic has a cultural disconnect with them for the most part.

I'm not certain how it is across the pond but over here in the states the differences in each community is quite strong. Whites, black, Latinos and asian Americans all act very differently from each other. In fact, we segragate ourselves to a degree. We make little china towns, mexicantowns, etc... to further draw a division and separate ourselves in the bigger cities.

Therefore i do agree. Little Bobby from rural Montana wont be able to find much in common with the Broners and Tank Davis' of the US boxing scene.

Boxing is a very tribalistic sport, and in a diverse country like the USA where folks tend to hold on dearly to their ancestral roots, the diversity could essentially become adversity to unity.

Comment

You need not only good American white boxers, but champs for that to happen. Maybe that explains why Caleb Plant's ratings were so high for his fight with Jose Uzi on a random Sunday.

Comment

That's why I'm hopeful that Caleb Plant can stay on top for a while. Perhaps he can attract more of a white fanbase if he proves to have staying power. And maybe he can spark more interest in the sport in the South where he is from.

The sad reality is that there are many white Americans who would rather cheer for a white foreigner than for a brown or black American.

Which disgusts me.

But maybe if they see one of their own doing well they can be coaxed back into watching boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
              I was dwelling on this subject for sometime and i have come to a solid conclusion... although the black fighters from the US are American of course, the white demographic has a cultural disconnect with them for the most part.

I'm not certain how it is across the pond but over here in the states the differences in each community is quite strong. Whites, black, Latinos and asian Americans all act very differently from each other. In fact, we segragate ourselves to a degree. We make little china towns, mexicantowns, etc... to further draw a division and separate ourselves in the bigger cities.

Therefore i do agree. Little Bobby from rural Montana wont be able to find much in common with the Broners and Tank Davis' of the US boxing scene.

Boxing is a very tribalistic sport, and in a diverse country like the USA where folks tend to hold on dearly to their ancestral roots, the diversity could essentially become adversity to unity.
              It is the same in the UK. Racial segregation is rife in the UK too. Just type it in on the internet. But the difference is the US Population is much more diverse. non-whites are currently 30% and will become 50% by 2044-2050. Hispanic’s will become the majority in the U.S.

Whites are getting old and not reproducing at the same level. But my point is Boxing needs that Young white male audience in the US. Look at Joshua in the UK. You can leverage and blood suck that white fanbase in the same way joshua/mcgregor did.
              Last edited by Manlikefemi; 05-27-2019, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                That's why I'm hopeful that Caleb Plant can stay on top for a while. Perhaps he can attract more of a white fanbase if he proves to have staying power. And maybe he can spark more interest in the sport in the South where he is from.

The sad reality is that there are many white Americans who would rather cheer for a white foreigner than for a brown or black American.

Which disgusts me.

But maybe if they see one of their own doing well they can be coaxed back into watching boxing.

Maybe at one point it would disgust me too... but I would be hypocritical if I felt the same way now.

Truth be told I'm quite certain a black fan would support a black fighter over a latino or white one as well. In fact I'm sure African Americans supported Dogboe and embraced him over a Mexican American in Magdaleno when they fought. Why? Why would they support a foreigner over their own countryman??? Right... we both know the answer. The sooner we understand things and see them for what they are, the sooner we could learn how to properly fix the situation.

That scenario goes every which way.

Originally posted by Manlikefemi View Post
                It is the same in the UK. Racial segregation is rife in the UK too. Just type it in on the internet. But the difference is the US Population is much more diverse. non-whites are currently 30% and will become 50% by 2044-2050. Hispanic’s will become the majority in the U.S.
                True. Thing is I'm sure white Americans will put up some resistance here shortly. Honestly, no country and its dominant demographic would just sit back and take such a drastic change too calmly.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
                  Maybe at one point it would disgust me too... but I would be hypocritical if I felt the same way now.

Truth be told I'm quite certain a black fan would support a black fighter over a latino or white one as well. In fact I'm sure African Americans supported Dogboe and embraced him over a Mexican American in Magdaleno when they fought. Why? Why would they support a foreigner over their own countryman??? Right... we both know the answer. The sooner we understand things and see them for what they are, the sooner we could learn how to properly fix the situation.

That scenario goes every which way.
                  Nobody knew who Dogboe was so I doubt it. He didn't start getting embraced until after he destroyed Magdaleno, which is when most people started paying attention to him.

If anything I remember his dad getting crap for making those insensitive Mexican wall comments.

Fact is America should look at all its sons as Americans. Even if they have black or brown skin.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    Nobody knew who Dogboe was so I doubt it. He didn't start getting embraced until after he destroyed Magdaleno, which is when most people started paying attention to him.

If anything I remember his dad getting crap for making those insensitive Mexican wall comments.

Fact is America should look at all its sons as Americans. Even if they have black or brown skin.
                    Alright, how about Guillermo Rigondeaux over Ramos and Marroquin?

I agree. America should but it wont any time soon. It is something far too embedded in our DNA. We cheer and embrace those whom look like us most. It gives us pride and joy to see someone who resembles us become successful. I guess it gives us hope...

It really is a deep subject that is far too often overlooked or silenced because of the risk it brings. However, those are the topics that need most attention.

Comment

Working...
                    X