Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lonsdale pro training 16 oz gloves thoughts?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lonsdale pro training 16 oz gloves thoughts?

Hey guys,

What about these 16 oz gloves? I want to use them for sparring.
    Are they any good?
    fightshop4u.nl/handschoenen/kickbokshandschoenen/lonsdale-pro-training-bokshandschoen-5.html[/url]

This is also my max budget!

Thnx!

No body?!!?

Comment

well i've been telling my friends to stay away from Ringside Lonsdale's coz they're obviously different than the Lonsdales on the uk site
      for myself, after trying about 30 different brands i've settled on Grant pro, nothing else comes close for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pork Chop View Post
        well i've been telling my friends to stay away from Ringside Lonsdale's coz they're obviously different than the Lonsdales on the uk site
        for myself, after trying about 30 different brands i've settled on Grant pro, nothing else comes close for me.
        Idk Ringside's Lonsdales seem very similar to the Ringside line (btw it is confirmed Ringside makes Lonsdale's USA gear, I asked some rep online). The Molded Foam seems to be like the IMF Tech, much like Throwdown and CSI (sub-brand) have a IMF Tech variant.

Comment

I bought these gloves a while back, they're so **** I had to go and buy another pair of different gloves not too long after. I thought they looked good on the website (which they do) and that the description was good. The description I bought them under talked about how great they were and capable of sparring...No, you CANNOT spar in these. They're soft as hell, I don't know what's in them. It says stuff like "high intensity foam" etc. etc. but it feels like cotton wool or something. Besides that, they're not even leather. It's always best to just go with the leather, rule of thumb, it's stronger.

All I know is I eventually spent a little bit more, bought the Lonsdale Super-Pro Sparring gloves - these;

http://www.ukfitnesssupplies.co.uk/p...H3_1_large.jpg

And they're awesome. They actually feel as if they have good quality strong foam in them, not god knows what the Pro-Training have in them. Wearing them was pretty weird too, they were kind of floppy, they didn't even feel strong. Whenever me and my bro used to play-box in the garden i'd give him those and i'd wear my real ones (in the confident idea that I know boxing so I should be ok). Tell you something, every time he did hit me I swear I could actually feel his knuckle come through.

I wouldn't recommend them. Even more so at that ridiculously expensive price!! 47 euros! They're a rip off, in England you can buy them now for about £24. Just spend a little more and get a better set, I learnt that lesson the hard way with two pairs of ****ty gloves hoping to save a penny. I didn't.

Hope this helps.
          Last edited by JayCoe; 09-24-2009, 06:30 PM.

Comment

@jaycoe

I ordered them 2 days ago, ill be getting them tomorrow. If they are ****ty like you said im gonna return them as quick as possible and get the safe spar. thnx!

Comment

Ah, yeah. Sorry about that one then. Maybe you'll like them but i'm pretty sure you'll think they're abit "meh", if you want to return them make sure you arrange it with the retailer ASAP and make sure they're unused.

Just to make sure they're the def' the same as the ones I got;

I ordered the Black pair, they came in a black rectangular case which had a clear 'window' at the front. That might not be much use because my super pro came in a similar bag, but the top, 3 sides and bottom were red. But i've just got my old Pro-Training now and i'll tell you what to look for to test if they're a bit crap.

The padding on the knuckle is "spongey", put finger underneath the knuckle area and thumb on top, press down, you shouldn't be able to meet. They don't meet per se but you can kind of feel them. When I try this with my Super-Pro, I get nowhere.

Another test is just put one on and hit it, you'll know whether the padding is sufficient or not, I don't think it is.

Don't worry about it though bud, if you don't like them just return them, easy. It's an inconvenience at worst, but it'll only be a 3-4 days before you have a new set that you're better off with.

It really depends on how often you do boxing, if it's a leisure keep fit thing, you'll prob find them fine, but if your training properly then I doubt you'll be up for them.

I share your pain bud, one thing thats so annoying about boxing is trying to buy the gloves. I remember when my old pair died out and I had to buy a new set, it took ****ing ages. Here in England, the home of boxing, it's actually quite hard to find a decently priced good boxing store. The sports shops sell absolute ****e that I think it's just dangerous haha. So alot of us boxers have to resign to the internet which is all good and well but we can't feel or try the gloves out. Your best bet is to a) go for leather b) spend atleast a medium price, cheap gloves in my experience are always **** c) find reviews. d) Go for a trusted manufacture. But yeah, it is hard.
              Last edited by JayCoe; 09-25-2009, 10:10 AM.

Comment

its good as long as u partner also use same size mine fukin sucks coz i have to 16 while my partners always use 12 or 10... lol ****in unfair.

Comment

Thnx JayCoe for the info! Im gonna try it out tomorrow and let you know on how they are! The retailer said that i can return them before 7 days so i think thats enough time to ''test'' them.

Thnx Napoleontas for your thought!

Ill let you guys know how the gloves are!

Comment

Why on earth does your gym let your partner wear 10 or 12s when you fight in 16? I've trained in one gym where it's 14 oz. but beside that all i've ever known is the 16 oz. sparring gloves which, by nature, seem like bigger gloves anyway.

Thnx JayCoe for the info! Im gonna try it out tomorrow and let you know on how they are! The retailer said that i can return them before 7 days so i think thats enough time to ''test'' them.
                    Probably best not to actually try them out, retailers aren't keen on accepting gloves that have been warn. When I bought my Super-Pros I, stupidly, only saw the Terms and Conditions after i'd signed for them. Scarily the store wrote in that as soon as you've signed for the gloves you have accepted them as they are and therefore there are no returns except in damage through usage. It essentially meant they could send me some gloves with scratches or whatever and then if I hadn't unpackaged them, checked them and THEN signed for them, it was my fault. Luckily my gloves came perfect, but it freaked me out enough now that I always check returns policies before buying anything.

But if you're bloke said 7 days you're sorted. But yeah, be careful how much you use them before you determine whether to send them back. Try feeling out the padding etc.

It's annoying if they aren't as you want, but like I said it's happened to many of us. It's annoying but no real big deal.

Comment

Working...
                    X