Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I doubt Ward will get that big money fight in Europe.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I doubt Ward will get that big money fight in Europe.

There has been some talk about a return with Froch in the UK and there has been a lot of speculation in Denmark on Sauerland wanting to give Ward a truckload of cash to face Mikkel Kessler in Copenhagen in the spring.

I cannot see either happen know even if Ward somehow discovered his passport. Ward is simply too boring, too dirty and too unspectacular to be the kind of draw his p4p status leads to assume.

he's one of those who will never be a draw

While some hardcore fans appreciate what he does, the casual fan who has like visions of the "rocky" fights in his head when he thinks of boxing is just never going to enjoy that sort of style. Also his personality is just to vanilla for him to draw based on that.

A mate of mine who is a casual text me during the fight to say how boring it was, and I see where he's coming from.

HBO are obviously doing their utmost to push him but it's just not going to happen with Ward

Comment

Kessler and Froch got like 2 million each for their rematch. Ward is already getting paid that much on HBO to fight against the Edwin Rodriguez level. What incentive does he have to travel? Froch and Kessler would have to take a ridiculous pay cut.

Comment

Ward has always applied himself this way in the ring, should have been established a while back. He'll continue to rack up victories, I mean lets be honest here, who can compete with him?

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
          Kessler and Froch got like 2 million each for their rematch. Ward is already getting paid that much on HBO to fight against the Edwin Rodriguez level. What incentive does he have to travel? Froch and Kessler would have to take a ridiculous pay cut.
          Currencies. £2,000,000 = $3,200,000

Comment

froch and kessler got 2 million pounds each

that's 3,220,000 dollars

Ward got 1,900,000 fee plus whatever he lucked in on due to rodriguez failing to make weight

Point is neither really has incentive to travel do they?

Comment

Wait, Ward actually traveling??

You have a better chance of getting Ward to not be so boring for a few minutes

Comment

That's the saddest thing about American networks trying to create stars, paying fighter ridiculous amounts of money to fight, let's be honest, bums. Jones coasted for over a decade on HBO with BIG pay checks against no bodies and Berto did so for years too. Ward is the next in line.

Fight nobody and earn money. It's true, why would Ward travel to fight the other two best SMWs when he can fight no-names in America? It also leads to another problem, why would Ward take any risks? Apart from being in the super 6, what has he done exactly? His resume is thread bare if you take out Froch and Kessler, wins over the likes of Abraham or Bika count for nothing as they were already more handsomely beaten by other fighters and were b+ at best anyway.

Now HBO is trying to build GGG V Ward but Ward is a BIG super middleweight and GG is a hard hitting slugger who got caught continuously by a 5'8'' supposed power puncher. It's sad because I do think Ward is a top p4p fighter, no. 2 now on my list but with the financial incentives he gets for fighting nobodies, why would he ever take a step up? We may have yet another case of the Jones-Mayweather syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
                  Ward has always applied himself this way in the ring, should have been established a while back. He'll continue to rack up victories, I mean lets be honest here, who can compete with him?
                  Bernard Hopkins? lol.

Comment

He couldn't sell out a phone box.

Comment

Working...
                    X