Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why didn't hearns demand a rematch with hagler?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why didn't hearns demand a rematch with hagler?

while the opening bell was still ringing in round one of the hearns/hagler fight, hearns dropped a bomb on hagler that split the latter's forehead open (as can clearly be seen on the tape) and would have knocked a lesser man clean out. according to emmanuel steward, hearns broke his hand in round one, and likely, i would have thought, with that early shot. if that is true, hearns must surely have believed that a rematch was in order, as he clearly had hagler hurt and stunned when the hand gave way, and would likely have emphatically finished the job there and then if only he could have continued hitting hard. hearns could have been confident that he had a good fifty percent chance of beating hagler in a rematch, and, win or lose, would have made a real shedload of money out of a second fight.

so, for me, the biggest question in the whole of sport: why did the rematch never happen?

welcome to boxingscene,

no matter wat happened, broken hand or not, hearns would lose.

Comment

it was a good 3 rounds. But I feel Hagler would have won the rematch. I do not belive the demand was high for a return.

Comment

: I do not belive the demand was high for a return.

have you any evidence to back that claim? i just can't believe it! nobody can have considered the fight that they had to have been anything less than amazing, and that would suggest to me that there would have been a great deal of interest if a rematch had been announced.

Comment

: welcome to boxingscene

thankyou very much, it's nice to be here!

Comment

of course the rematch was in high demand. It was only 3 rounds and it's been considered as one of the greatest fights of all time.

Comment

3 great rounds. But what else could Hearns do to Hagler but thown the kitchen sink at him??

I belive it will be other great fight, with Hagler of couse winning again. You relly belive it will draw a hugh gate like last time?/

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey1238
                3 great rounds. But what else could Hearns do to Hagler but thown the kitchen sink at him??

I belive it will be other great fight, with Hagler of couse winning again. You relly belive it will draw a hugh gate like last time?/
                I think it would. However I do agree, Hagler would win again.

Hey - is ESB down again for you?

Comment

yeah its been down again,

They usely crash and recover once a year or so.
                  But this time they crash, recover for a while. and crash again.

Like I said, I just dont see how Hagler would lose the rematch. I guess it can fill out a Arena and draw a crowd like the last one. But for 3 rounds it was a thriller. but I dont think it may be as magical as fight 1.

Comment

Tommy wanted a rematch.

Hagler was not down for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X