Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's the best fighter since Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
    I still don't get why the hell made Jones so greater than great apart from moving pretty in the ring against sub par comp most of the time.
    I agree...Jones was so overrated. In any sport, when you play around like he did against his competition, it's usually a sign that the competition is very weak.

Comment

Originally posted by ILLuminato View Post
      I agree...Jones was so overrated. In any sport, when you play around like he did against his competition, it's usually a sign that the competition is very weak.
      Like Pernell Whitaker?

Comment

No, not all the time. Jones overall comp probably rates a B+. James Toney was an A+ fighter and Jones toyed with him. McCallum was still an A- fighter but had obviously fallen off. Hopkins was a B+ fighter at the time they fought. Reggie Johnson was still a top fighter. Virgil Hill. I can keep naming names of former titlists and ranked contenders all day. Being THAT good does not always mean the comp is weak. You have to look at their skill set and who they have fought to determine that. If that were true how do you explain Ali? His comp is considered the best ever at heavyweight and he often toyed with it while in his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
          Like Pernell Whitaker?
          Here's another example.

Willie Pep?

Comment

1) Roy Jones Jr.

2) Floyd Mayweather Jr.

2) Manny Pacquiao

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
              There is a reason he didn't stay at HW. Ruiz was just there for the taking and Jones saw that opportunity. Oh yea btw...that fight...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. **** if Pernell was in Jones' shoes, he'd fight Lewis. Jones was a major opportunists.

I find it funny you tried to be sneaky with that alphabet #1 rated fighter. Sucks he didn't do the same with some of the divisions he was in.

LOL I still don't see how the hell he's top 30 ATG ever. Besides HWs usually are in one division and Jones had several to play with and I still don't see what the hell is so special with being that high. I watched a lot of his fights too and you can just tell the dudes he fought just weren't that good. They were just guys HBO hyped up to make Jones look like a god and people like you ate that shit up.

Oh yea since you question Vitali for taking steroids maybe you ought to do the same with Jones and his magical ripped fuel.

Anyways that's my opinion. From some miracle I might see it but I highly doubt it.
              You do know that Roy tried to get the lewis fight right? once it was unable to happen he had went down to fight Tarver, look it up Lennox said it himself that Roy tried to make the fight

Comment

I hear there was a heavyweight from the '60s to '70s that did it sorta well against okay competition

Comment

Of fighters that've made their pro debuts from Sweet Pea's pro debut (1984) to present, i would rank their GOATness in this order....

1) Roy Jones Jr.

2) Manny Pacquiao

3) Pernell Whitaker

4) Evander Holyfield

5) Floyd Mayweather Jr.

6) Bernard Hopkins

7) Oscar De La Hoya

8) Erik Morales

9) Mike Tyson

10) Lennox Lewis

11) Juan Manuel Marquez

12) James Toney

13) Tito Trinidad

14) Shane Mosley

15) Marco Antonio Barrera

If someone were to rearrange the order of #'s 2 & 3 on my list as well as 9-15, i wouldn't put up much of an argument.

But ROY is the definitive GOAT of the modern era.

Comment

Except he played around with an A+, undeniable ATG in James Toney as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtThouFurious? View Post
                      Of fighters that've made their pro debuts from Sweet Pea's pro debut (1984) to present, i would rank their GOATness in this order....

1) Roy Jones Jr.

2) Manny Pacquiao

3) Pernell Whitaker

4) Evander Holyfield

5) Floyd Mayweather Jr.

6) Bernard Hopkins

7) Oscar De La Hoya

8) Erik Morales

9) Mike Tyson

10) Lennox Lewis

11) Juan Manuel Marquez

12) James Toney

13) Tito Trinidad

14) Shane Mosley

15) Marco Antonio Barrera

If someone were to rearrange the order of #'s 2 & 3 on my list as well as 9-15, i wouldn't put up much of an argument.

But ROY is the definitive GOAT of the modern era.
                      neither roy or pac are greater than whitaker ur list isnt bad otherwise tho

Comment

Working...
                      X