View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 05:43 AM #77
Interim Champion

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Rusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 28,283.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by them_apples View Post
he beat Archie Moore 3 times. His resume at lhw is stacked, but 3 wins over Archie Moore in his prime is a write off on his LHW greatness? how is Ezzard Overrated. the second best LHW in my book is Michael spinks.

I've watched pretty much every bit of footage on Ezzard I while agree he wasn't always exciting he is the epitome of a tactical and high ring IQ fighter.

Alexis Arguello is another fighter than sort of played the same rythm as charles, he lulled his oponents to sleep and into timing a different speed, then when the opportunity presented itself the fast hard shot was fired off when the oponent least expected it. Charles did this so much some of his knockouts looked like a day job to him, like he could do it on 2 hours sleep with his eyes closed.

on the other hand you have a low IQ fighter like Khan, throws every shot as fast as he can, his oponents know this so they prepare for it and his speed becomes pretty much ineffective vs anyone good.

And what about beating Archie Moore (was Moore even in his prime?) makes him top 10 P4P?

How about fighting Harada? The dude was a 3 divisions CHAMPION in the three lowest weight divisions. Yeah, yeah, he didn't get the nod he deserved against Famechon. But everyone knows should have held three of the original 8 belts. And he beats the likes of Kingpetch, Jofre and Famechon to do it. There's a caveat to each of those victories. But the achievement is tremendous. Charles can't claim a scalp like Jofre (even a dried-out one), and there's no footage showing he's as good as Harada.

So why isn't Harada in anyone's top 10?

I could make arguments for Jimmy McLarnin (a much more dangerous puncher than Moore, Ray, or even Marciano ever were) and Carlos Ortiz (a true example of a boxer-puncher and ring general), too.

Charles was very good, but the evidence supporting the high rankings don't match what contemporaries were saying. It certainly isn't stronger than what many less celebrated fighters have to support their cause.
Rusty Tromboni is offline   Reply With Quote