Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Might be old but, alot of Freddy Roach's fighters never use the jab.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Freddy and teaching the jab is generally conflicting with his fighters styles. It just so happens Freddy usually trains offensive minded fighters. He also prefers that as it was his style of fighting. So then when he trains them he focuses more on their offensive capabilities while using the jab mostly to setup the offense. It's not used to simply score points or knock his opponent off balance. Freddy wants that jab as a quick measuring stick more so, to see how close you are to get in and bomb and get out. But just remember, it's not like he neglects it, plenty of times you can hear him in the corner say use that jab and follow up with whatever, it's just his fighters are so offensive minded, they usually neglect to use it.

Comment

If you’ve seen PAC’s early fights, he had no clue how to use a jab…under Roach, he learned how to first use it as a range gauge and now he’s actually setting up his combos behind it….Virgil Hill had a decent jab under Roach, James Toney uses the jab, can’t really think of the rest of his stable at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        Pacquiao uses the jab quite a bit now, De La Hoya was but he stopped half way through the fight.
        DLH getting countered by Mayweather's cross over the jab was why.

Alot of people say a bunch of **** about Mayweather, but the truth is that you'd be out of your mind to deny him as the best pound for pound fighter on the planet. A guy like Mayweather is a guy you can't go in with a plan against.

Something alotta guys don't realize about Mayweather that separates him from other fighters is more than just how fast or talented he is. Mayweather, unlike others, changes his rhythm very often as he fights...90% of all fighters only fight on one rhythm, the other 9% have a few rhythms, Floyd is that guy in the 1% mark who has about ten different rhythms..baaad mother****er

I like how Steward's fighters, notably heavyweights of the last 25 years, use the jab. Powerful and quick, and he had different jabs for different fighters. My favorite is Klitschko's, but my second is Hearn's jab. He held his left low and came in at a funny angle to where it'd always tag a guy. He is a goddamn good trainer, alot of people say he's overrated, alot of people say the best people at the world doing anything are overrated...people will be people...You got people saying Klitschko's overrated, people saying mayweather is overrated...You got people saying Obama and Mccain are overrated...**** it, I think he's a good trainer especially for Heavies, **** what ppl say.

I do have alot of respect for Roach and what he's done and is currently doing in boxing and just for handling his own life and situation very well; however, I worry about the progression of his situation affecting his fighters, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it though.
        Last edited by Stormin' Norman; 08-20-2008, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X