Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking a week off, (7 full days of nothing) do you lose all your stamina, endurance?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a week off, (7 full days of nothing) do you lose all your stamina, endurance?

I'm training for my first amateur fight. I've been training about two months now. Run twice a week, box three times a week. I want to get my fight in the weekend before spring break, which is in about 3-4 weeks. I was wondering for anyone with knowledge about this, I'm planning on going to Mexico for spring break, one full week, and I'm planning on taking that full week entirely off. Just sitting around, eating Mexican food, drinking some brews, and just relaxing on the Mexican beach. Will that full week off completely obliterate my endurance and stamina? I mean i know for sure that it will decrease somewhat, but to what extent? Will it effect me very greatly, or not too much?

You won't lose your stamina completely, but you'll hate yourself for it. When I take a week off, it takes me about 2 days at the gym to get back into the swing of things. My vote is, don't do it the way you're thinking of. Schedule the fight at least a week after you get back. Two weeks would be better. A month would be even better, IMO.

Comment

at least do some running in the morning and some shadowboxing while in mexico, and don't drink too much cerveza down there, alcohol makes the body produce estrogen which is bad for a fighter

Comment

If your training for your first fight, hell you need to start doing a lot more than running just twice a week, up that to 4 times a week and you should be doing boxing skills training 4-5 days a week.

even on holiday, you can get some maintenance conditioning in and still enjoy your holiday, get pissed, get laid etc

Comment

dont stop completly...just take it easy. maybe a few sets of calisthenics throughout the day, a few miles running in the morning, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman18 View Post
            I'm training for my first amateur fight. I've been training about two months now. Run twice a week, box three times a week. I want to get my fight in the weekend before spring break, which is in about 3-4 weeks. I was wondering for anyone with knowledge about this, I'm planning on going to Mexico for spring break, one full week, and I'm planning on taking that full week entirely off. Just sitting around, eating Mexican food, drinking some brews, and just relaxing on the Mexican beach. Will that full week off completely obliterate my endurance and stamina? I mean i know for sure that it will decrease somewhat, but to what extent? Will it effect me very greatly, or not too much?
            go for a run every morning and do some shadowboxing. swimming would be good to.

and go light on the beer, anyway it wont be so bad for your stamina.

Comment

if this is your first amateur fight you really want to be as prepared as possible....haven't said that I would party it up in Mexico and not worry about anything else while your down there. try and reschedule your bout.

Comment

Well i've already been training/running for two months already, five days a week, sometimes six. I went sparring two nights ago and lasted five round with two guys bigger than me. I didn't exactly beat them but i did very good because they had 40 pounds on me. My point is, i've been sparring with bigger guys, i've been running and training, and i'm confident. So i think I'm prepared physically and mentally to fight before spring break. I would love to sit by the beach, knowing I fought, even if i lost, knowing that i fought and fought good while drinking a beer. I dont want to go knowing I haven't fought and I'm going to need to start training all over again to fight. I'm anxious for my first fight.

Comment

Im sure its pretty normal to take a little break after a fight. I wouldnt beat myself up over it. Just try to get in about 15 minutes of shadow boxing, and 20 minutes or so of cardio every other day to keep yourself on track.

If you hit the pool everyday and do swimming then you will be doing a lot of good cardio anyways.

Comment

When i use to take a week off, my stamina would suck the following week.

I felt like i had to start over if i ever stopped for a good amount of days.

I always hated myself for it too.

But everyones different and you might be able to get back in the swing of things with little trouble.

Comment

Working...
                    X