Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo Promotional Legal Battle is Getting Close To a Trial

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Canelo Promotional Legal Battle is Getting Close To a Trial

According to sources in Mexico, the legal battle over WBC junior middleweight champion Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez is likely heading to trial in at the Dade Country courthouse in Miami, Florida. The case is in the final stage of discovery and the next step would be the announcement of a trial date. In 2009, promoter Felix "Tutico" Zabala of All Star Boxing sued Golden Boy Promotions for allegedly interfering with his contract. Zabala claims Canelo signed a four year promotional contract with his company in 2008, and there was a clause that extended the contract in the event Canelo became a world champion. Golden Boy has disputed the validity of Zabala's promotional claim and believe their company is the only valid promoter of the Mexican superstar.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    According to sources in Mexico, the legal battle over WBC junior middleweight champion Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez is likely heading to trial in at the Dade Country courthouse in Miami, Florida. The case is in the final stage of discovery and the next step would be the announcement of a trial date. In 2009, promoter Felix "Tutico" Zabala of All Star Boxing sued Golden Boy Promotions for allegedly interfering with his contract. Zabala claims Canelo signed a four year promotional contract with his company in 2008, and there was a clause that extended the contract in the event Canelo became a world champion. Golden Boy has disputed the validity of Zabala's promotional claim and believe their company is the only valid promoter of the Mexican superstar.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Automatically extend your contract if you win a title? That is some pretty shady stuff if thats really in the contract. Id rather seen this BS thrown out if it is.

Comment

Well well we never heard about this... At least I didn't.

Looks like the Cubans aren't the only ones caught up on some contractual ****.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
        Automatically extend your contract if you win a title? That is some pretty shady stuff if thats really in the contract. Id rather seen this BS thrown out if it is.
        That seems pretty standard. It's unfair to have a promoter invest a lot of money and work into a fighter, only to have the fighter go to another promoter as soon as the investment pays off by becoming a champion.

Although, I don't know what the Canelo situation is.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
          Why do you call it "shady"....?? If you were a promoter, and had spent a couple of millions on bringing your fighter to a title, therefore into the big money fights, would you then bring him along to another promoter, hand him ovet and say "bye-bye"??

Hmmm. you should reconsider your comment and post an amendment.

Comment

Golden Boy made canelo, never even heard of this promoter and i doubt the legal team golden boy has is going to lose a case to some hole-in-the-wall promotional company so good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Zyzz
              Golden Boy made canelo, never even heard of this promoter and i doubt the legal team golden boy has is going to lose a case to some hole-in-the-wall promotional company so good luck
              Who was Canelo with for his first 30+ fights then? I'm pretty sure Canelo had a following in Mexico before he got to the states.

You might be right tho. Wish we had full details on this.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Zyzz View Post
                if you never heard of him, get educated...biggest promoter in FL, handles WV2 since day 1, as he did w/Alvarez...it all fell apart late 2009...if Zabala has the contract & it's as he states, GBP & Canelo have some big $$ 2 pay...we shall c..

Comment

Originally posted by Zyzz View Post
                  Alvarez was already huge before Golden Boy.

Has Golden Boy ever even built any notable fighter from the ground up?

Comment

Everybody want a piece of the face of boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X