Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Scully ... As A Trainer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scully is the man but even he cant turn piss into wine. Dawson was in over his head.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
      Iceman is a good trainer, his only problem is he believed in his fighter more than his fighter believed in himself. You can only motivate a man so much.
      ^^^^THIS^^^^

There's not much more you can say to a fighter when you can't even get him to throw ANY punches. Take a look at the stats during the fight (although they're not always completely accurate, it tells A LOT). Several rounds he only landed ONE punch (out of 5 TOTAL punches thrown in the round IIRC). I can't even count the # of times I've watched of Chads in the last few years where they always show his trainer BEGGING him to throw some fkng punches. In the end, Scully was brutally honest with Chad telling him he can't win a decision and to go out there with everything he's got to try and make something happen.... and still no change in Chads determination. To be perfectly clear, I'm not taking anything away from Ward because he fought a beautiful fight... but it seems too common these days for everyone to blame the trainer of a fighter that lost, who just spent X number of weeks in training and already knows what the game plan is. During the fight, the trainer is just relaying to the fighter what he's seeing and what tactics to use... but if the fighter isn't listening or is unable/unwilling to listen, what else is the trainer supposed to do. TBH, no one here heard most of the instructions being given in that corner anyway... a few second snippets, inbetween replays and commentators talking about upcoming fights and showing the other corner.

As Hectari stated, there's only so much you can do with a guy who seems unmotivated. You know what they say - you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink it.

Comment

scully is very underrated as a trainer and i'm hoping he can continue to make a name for himself with up and coming fighters - no reason he couldn't have a long and successful career as a cornerman. would be interesting to see what he can do with a fighter who is a little more willing to rise to the occasion..

Comment

Working...
        X