Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prometheus movie discussion (Spoilers Imminent)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prometheus movie discussion (Spoilers Imminent)

Please understand this will be a thread to discuss theories and the movie overall.....

THERE WILL BE SPOILERS....YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

So me and my friends were throwing around ideas after the movie trying to figure out what was going on.

- The opening scene with the lone engineer is "Prometheus" a rogue engineer came to bring life to earth....despite the rest of his race agreeing.

The main issue with this theory is why would the engineers come back to visit?

- Earth was a testing ground for their biological weapon.....The Xenomorphs

This theory makes sense to me...

-The engineers were at a point in their timeline where they had the technology to create superior intelligence.....they made the xenomorphs and it began to kill them off...

I dont believe this one because if Humans match their DNA perfectly wouldnt that mean we are the purest descendants to them? How different are the other species?

Comment

I'm about to see it right now, starting at 7:45

posting after

Comment

I was trying to connect the greek myth of prometheus to what just happened and I read this:

"The immortal Prometheus was bound to a rock, where each day an eagle, the emblem of Zeus, was sent to feed on his liver, only to have it grow back to be eaten again the next day."

Which reminded me of the aliens bursting out of your stomach.

The most likely explanation I can think of is that the lone engineer gave human beings some kind of secret knowledge(like fire in the myth) that would make us on par with them- and that's why he was left to die, and they planned to unleash the alien to exterminate us before we became too powerful, but it grew beyond their control and destroyed them instead.

I gotta watch it again I know there's something i'm missing.
        Last edited by Paclan; 06-10-2012, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paclan View Post
          I was trying to connect the greek myth of prometheus to what just happened and I read this:

"The immortal Prometheus was bound to a rock, where each day an eagle, the emblem of Zeus, was sent to feed on his liver, only to have it grow back to be eaten again the next day."

Which reminded me of the aliens bursting out of your stomach.

The most likely explanation I can think of is that the lone engineer gave human beings some kind of secret knowledge(like fire in the myth) that would make us on par with them- and that's why he was left to die, and they created the alien to exterminate us before we became too powerful, but it grew beyond their control and destroyed them instead.
          it seems as thought they are setting up a sequel....definitely a lot left to explore

-what was the green rock in the urn room when they first saw the Xenomorph on the wall

-what was Davids motives? to kill his owner? to become human?

-what did David say to the engineer?

-why did the fluid have different effects on different things?......example the engineer drank it and dissolved to start humanity but yet other things thrive and become super human off of it.

Comment

They tried to do way tooo much in just a 2 hour movie.

Peter Weyland's character was just so unecessary at the end of the movie. And the part where Charlize Theron reveals it was her father was really cliche.

Why did David poison the one doctor?

Why did the engineers go back to Earth and reveal themselves to the ancient people?

Why did that one guy come back to the ship as a super strong zombie?

And why did all of those engineers get killed on the alien ship?

Comment

Saw the movie on Saturday and I loved it. I agree with most of what the OP posted and my daughter asked me why the engineers wanted to destroy earth, my theory was just that.

That they wanted to test their creation on the people of earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                Saw the movie on Saturday and I loved it. I agree with most of what the OP posted and my daughter asked me why the engineers wanted to destroy earth, my theory was just that.

That they wanted to test their creation on the people of earth.
                It has less holes in it to me

They created earth and humans as a testing ground......we are lab rats

The base we discover looks militarized...look at the layout, ships, everyone in miltary-esque gear.

they were creating a biological weapon and needed something to test it on.....

even though of course this has holes in it too...and kind of contradicts the name Prometheus

Comment

There were gaping plot holes. The movie was beautifully filmed, had great effects, some horrific scenes and a whole lot of WTF.

The biomorphs were a weapon created by them and they wanted to test them? The life cycle of biomorphs in the Alien films was fairly simple. Queen lays eggs, face huggers hatch and implant embryos in living organisms, embryos gestate, grow into aliens as appropriate to the situation. Like some species of ant.

Now we're supposed to accept that the life cycle consists of drop of black stuff in a drink infects human male who has sex with a human female then gets set on fire, impregnates the female who gives birth to a squid that becomes a giant massive squid that eats Dr Manhattan who doesn't get et but gives birth to a chestburster but a full grown one.... What!?

Think it through.

Also what is Dr Shaw's PhD in?

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
                    There were gaping plot holes. The movie was beautifully filmed, had great effects, some horrific scenes and a whole lot of WTF.

The biomorphs were a weapon created by them and they wanted to test them? The life cycle of biomorphs in the Alien films was fairly simple. Queen lays eggs, face huggers hatch and implant embryos in living organisms, embryos gestate, grow into aliens as appropriate to the situation. Like some species of ant.

Now we're supposed to accept that the life cycle consists of drop of black stuff in a drink infects human male who has sex with a human female then gets set on fire, impregnates the female who gives birth to a squid that becomes a giant massive squid that eats Dr Manhattan who doesn't get et but gives birth to a chestburster but a full grown one.... What!?

Think it through.

Also what is Dr Shaw's PhD in?
                    maybe the alien created at the end was the first of the Queens?

I loved this movie and i love movies that leave questions to be determined but damn there was so much meat left on the bone that was never answered

the "creation room" with the mysterious green rock and the Xenomorph on the wall

the supposedly infected Engineers piled up

the continuous development of man kind through engineer interaction

and the best of all

WHY IN THE HELL DID THE SHIP CAPTAIN AND THE SCIENTIST RUN IN A STRAIGHT FREAKING LINE WHEN THE SHIP WAS FALLING ON THEM?!?!

Comment

Working...
                    X