Pain in my hands when I punch the heavy bag

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain in my hands when I punch the heavy bag

Hey,

I like to work on the heavy bag, but my hands are killing me after a few rounds.
    My hand are very small and my heavy bag is really heavy and big. It's not pain at my knuckles, but more from closing my hand while I'm boxing. I have adidas Performer Heavy Bag gloves (http://store.titleboxing.com/adidas-...ag-gloves.html) and these wraps (http://www.boxfituk.com/boxing-acces.../prod_633.html).

What can I do different to stop this pain or should I buy some other equipment?

Thanks in advance!

It's because your gloves are too stiff and probably need to be broken in. Trying to make a fist in stiff gloves puts a lot of strain on the hand, combine that with punching the heavy bag it causes pain.

People will say its your hand wraps or punching incorrectly but unless you're ******ed it wont be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Young Money View Post
      It's because your gloves are too stiff and probably need to be broken in. Trying to make a fist in stiff gloves puts a lot of strain on the hand, combine that with punching the heavy bag it causes pain.

People will say its your hand wraps or punching incorrectly but unless you're ******ed it wont be the case.

It sounds exactly like a handwrapping problem if your using handwraps your wrapping your hands incorrectly. Or you could be punching the bag incorrectly.
      You don't have to be ******ed to wrap wrong or punch the bag wrong. Some people Don't turn they're hands fully when throwing punches especially combinations. A common mistake people might do when wrapping is making a tight wrap and not opening there hand fully or when they anchor they're thumb them they overlapped the wrap incorrectly.

but to the op you should definitely try other equipment , at my gym gloves are provided if you don't have any, so If the same applies for your gym try some of the gloves provided and try using traditiona handwraps, or buy a pair of everlast.
      Last edited by Be_kind_rewind; 04-24-2011, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Don't wrap your hands so damn tight. They'll constrict your hand with every punch and you'll feel pain whenever you hit the back.

Also, work on good form. Always try to hit the back with your KNUCKLES.

Comment

Originally posted by benji****kie View Post
          Hey,

I like to work on the heavy bag, but my hands are killing me after a few rounds.
          My hand are very small and my heavy bag is really heavy and big. It's not pain at my knuckles, but more from closing my hand while I'm boxing. I have adidas Performer Heavy Bag gloves (http://store.titleboxing.com/adidas-...ag-gloves.html) and these wraps (http://www.boxfituk.com/boxing-acces.../prod_633.html).

What can I do different to stop this pain or should I buy some other equipment?

Thanks in advance!

From my limited experience, it looks CLEARLY like it's the gloves your using.

8 ounce gloves don't seem to good to use on a heavy bag consistently, please correct me if I'm wrong. I must be because nobody said anything about it? Or they were too lazy to look at the gloves

Comment

You use 8 oz gloves, I use 16 oz and really you shouldnt use less then 14 oz gloves imo.

The qaultiy of the gloves look pretty crappy too, you should invest in better gloves.

I find it funny how people will buy $200 dollar runners but only buy $20 gloves.

Remember you get what you pay for.

Also maybe wrap your hands a little looser, they could be too tight by the sound of things.

Comment

everybody gets sore hands from training hard
              after all, you're slamming them into hard targets hundreds, thousands of times a day
              if you're in pain and being effected on the daily or you feel like you're doing real damage, you definitely need to switch things up

it sounds like you're perhaps banging on the bag and not punching it with your knuckles?

for one, you want to punch without balling your hands into a fist
              close your hands around your gloves and your wraps
              just close them
              you wont need a tight fist
              you aren't hitting with your hand anyway, you're hitting with your knuckles

when your throw your right hand, turn it over and snap it through the target (your fist should literally turn over to meet the target at the knuckles)

when you snap the jab, step into it and turn it over. don't use your fingers at the end of it to hit the target, use the knuckles.
              and when you throw the hook make sure your elbow is high so your don't slap the bag with your hand and fingers

the pain closing your hands sounds like it's coming from the way you strike the bag, and not the glove size
              but you should be using sized 16 gloves at least for your heaviest bag work

wrap your hands, thumb, wrist, and knuckles (also between the knuckles) and use a premade pad over your knuckles and on the back of your hand
              if you don't know how to wrap, ask somebody at your gym or check out the youtube, there are great lessons on hand wrapping there.

start light on the bag
              dont swing your hardest on your first punch
              or even in your first round
              or even at all
              your hands need to fill up with blood and your bones and soft tissues in your hands need to stretch out and get used to the impact before your start going hard on the bag

i use 20+ oz gloves when hitting the bag. no joke.
              the heavier gloves make you feel like superman when you get smaller gloves on your hands

i'd suggest working first on your wrap, and make sure it's sound and adequately padded and properly fit into the glove
              then the form of your punches. you want to use your knuckles and not your hands and fingers to punch
              the bag shouldn't make a slapping sound
              you should hear a thud

and finally
              if all else fails (and you really have horrible hands if it does, and you need to protect them)
              you need 16 oz (at least) winning or grant gloves
              lace up, top of the line.
              it's going to run you some cash, but they will last
              but otherwise you'll be doing horrible damage to your hands if you're really hurting them on the daily

if you're at a gym, just talk to your coach and he will show you the way

Comment

I get pain in my right hand when i throw the straight right, im orthodox. I think im wrapping wrong, so dont hit the bag now. I will need a pro to wrap my hands for me. Ive checked youtube but can never tell how tight it should be.
                I just need reassurance from someone i suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
                  I get pain in my right hand when i throw the straight right, im orthodox. I think im wrapping wrong, so dont hit the bag now. I will need a pro to wrap my hands for me. Ive checked youtube but can never tell how tight it should be.
                  I just need reassurance from someone i suppose.
                  The wraps should feel perfect if you wrap them right, you would always be able to tell if there to tight or to loose. Sometimes if people don't take care of the bag the inside of the bag would go to the bottom and it would hurt alot when you hit it.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadlyOverhand View Post
                    The wraps should feel perfect if you wrap them right, you would always be able to tell if there to tight or to loose. Sometimes if people don't take care of the bag the inside of the bag would go to the bottom and it would hurt alot when you hit it.
                    How do you take care of a bag? Depending on the filling nearly all bags will settle with the filling at the bottom after some time.

Comment

Working...
                    X