No announcement yet.

How good was Johnny Nelson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good was Johnny Nelson?

Recently Sky Sports have been showing some big moments in all sports and the other day it showed his win over David Haye's conquerer Carl Thompson. I like him on Ringside too and he looks like an absolute beast..

So i was trying to find some stuff out about him and checked over his record.. basically it wasn't very flattering lost first 3 fights, lots of Decision losses to the likes of Sanders. He did go on a run of 13 unbeaten after he won the cruiserweight title though.. was this careful matchmaking or had he improved a lot since his earlier days?

Solid fighter at very best.

Paper Titlest at Crusierweight, never considered a Top 3 Crusier if I remember correctly, and if he was he wasn't for a long spell.

Best fighter he beat is probably Carl Thompson, which speaks for itself really.

Although he did improve from his earlier fights compared to when he won his title and after that. Especially in terms of mental ability.

I think Johnny Nelson has the record for most title defenses at Crusierweight though Doesn't mean much though he very rarely fought top fighters at Crusier.

So yeah, solid, nothing more.

Comment

He was good, and he was also boring, mostly known for the latter. Nelson learned on the job after a difficult start, found out he couldn't make it at heavyweight and decided to make the cruiserweight division his home. He did benefit from weak competition but even the best cruiserweights couldn't deal with his style. Carl Thompson was his best win, but the way he dominated Thompson from start to finish indicates that he could likely beat even better opponents. Ezra Sellers was also a big puncher whom Nelson beat.

Here's Nelson vs Thompson:

Comment

Working...
      X