• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kid Gavilan displays how to handle a southpaw

by taking out unbeaten 37-0 southpaw challenger Chuck Davey:

Uploaded by McGrain.

Good fight, thanks for posting A.

Comment

Thanks for the great video. It was fun watching Gavilan try and solve Davey. At first Davey was spoiling him with his lead leg outside of Gavilan's. Next Gavilan tried fighting southpaw, which didn't work too well either. In round 9 Gavilan found out that Davey didn't like his own medicine of the step outside followed quickly by the right hand down the pipe.

Comment

To be fair though Davey was a very pawing, non-engaging type of fighter. He wasn't a KO threat so Gavilan was free to open up on him and take some chances.

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
          To be fair though Davey was a very pawing, non-engaging type of fighter. He wasn't a KO threat so Gavilan was free to open up on him and take some chances.
          Yeah, I think we can all agree Davey wasn't the most dangerous southpaw to face. And while it was a good performance, I don't think Davey should stand for all southpaws boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseySugar View Post
            Yeah, I think we can all agree Davey wasn't the most dangerous southpaw to face. And while it was a good performance, I don't think Davey should stand for all southpaws boxers.
            Most of his wins were likely predicated on the fact that he was almost certain to be the only southpaw with professional-level ability any of them had ever faced even in sparring. Southpaws were unknown during that era, and it really wasn't until Hagler that the door was opened for them.

Comment

Obviously Gavilan beating Davey doesn't mean he could handle every southpaw who ever fought, nor that the style he used to beat Davey is the blueprint to beat all southpaws, but his right hand leads did do a job on Davey, and Davey was no bum.

Comment

Working...
              X