No announcement yet.

Use of forms

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of forms

this is an always debated subject amongst martial artists?

Should you use forms?

Please discuss

IMO no cause people can learn your moves too easy.

Comment

no

the time could be better spent sparring or drilling

Comment

I have started off doing martial arts with forms, then stopped doing them for a while, and now as of recent started doing them again.

I think forms a re great for all martial artists to use.
        In the beginning they are good for balance, coordination, and discipline.
        But you really have to know what your doing when working a form, i f you do not they will not be very useful to you. You have to have a understanding of what each movement is used for or where each strike is thrown and what it leads to and you must know the practical application of the pieces of the form.
        Forms are great because they give you something to practice when your home or in the park or where ever.
        I found that when people did not do forms and did all drills and sparring they became sloppy and did not have as much techniqe when fighting as people who had forms.

I work forms alot now and I feel it is helping me.
        You just got to understand the forms and do good forms.
        A major problem is that alot of schools do not update or change forms because this is the way this was taught to me and this is the way I must teach it to you. Forms must be updated and changed.
        The most important thing is to understand what you are doing with each movement.

When I first started, I was skeptical about forms and now that I do them on a regular basis, i am a big fan of using forms.

Comment

It would help someone who was attacked on the streets. I used to spar with a guy who used the same forms and I could ppredict what he would do next

Comment

the mans an idiot and did not understand the use of forms.

Comment

I agree with Chris. Forms are, in my opinion, basically a way for you to figure out your balance and attack without someone trying to pummel you in a methodical fashion.

That being said, no, you don't do forms to learn moves. You do forms to learn balance and how your body reacts when you attempt things. They aren't the be-all, end-all by a long shot. You can throw a terrific kick, but does it hurt when it lands? How does your body react to it?

I will say that I think forms are a good way to practice moves you already know, just to keep sharp.

Comment

Well, when you think about it. Everybody uses forms. Whether, it be bjj, muay thai, and etc... My boxing trainer always made me use certain combos over and over using the mits. He also, told me to do certain shadow boxing movements. I practiced them over and over again. Same with my friend that teaches me muay thai. Its all about muscle memory and coordination. In a streetfight you pray that your martial arts techniques will automatically kick start.

I knew this guy once, he swore he was a great fighter. He's been taking tkd for years. Can do unbelievable stuff with his feet. I told him once, that the way he trains isn't gonna help him in a real streetfight. The way tkd usually train that I see is that they throw bombs from far away then when you get too close they start withdrawing. Unrealistic sparring in other words. He disagreed and said that he can hold his own. Good thing, we lived in Jersey City and a fight will eventually occur when your in your teens. He tried to go kick the guy in the head, other guy just ate the kick to the head and hooked his leg then powered him down and proceeded to gnp.

Long story short, I asked him what happen to his technique. He didn't even look like a tkd stylist. The proper way to utilize a technique is to full contact spar. I believe the reasons why a Thai fighter and boxer would usually win in a streetfight is due to their experience with pain. When, i boxed and I got hit in the jaw or ribs and felt that pain. My brain said ****! that hurt don't get hit like that again. Thats where your reflexes come in. Thus, muscle memory as well.

Don't get me wrong other traditional styles have their merits like tkd or kung fu. But, I'am not gonna get scared if they train in the US. Maybe, if they trained in Korea and China then I'd be scared. For chinese people its not only an art form but part of their religion. Their extremeists when it comes to training. Yah, sure most people think that traditional styles are outdated and aren't effective. But them ****ing monks got me scared. I don't know anybody than can poke holes in a tree trunk with their fingers.

Comment

Yea those buddhist monks are crazy

Comment

Originally posted by Kempo Chris
                    I have started off doing martial arts with forms, then stopped doing them for a while, and now as of recent started doing them again.

I think forms a re great for all martial artists to use.
                    In the beginning they are good for balance, coordination, and discipline.
                    But you really have to know what your doing when working a form, i f you do not they will not be very useful to you. You have to have a understanding of what each movement is used for or where each strike is thrown and what it leads to and you must know the practical application of the pieces of the form.
                    Forms are great because they give you something to practice when your home or in the park or where ever.
                    I found that when people did not do forms and did all drills and sparring they became sloppy and did not have as much techniqe when fighting as people who had forms.

I work forms alot now and I feel it is helping me.
                    You just got to understand the forms and do good forms.
                    A major problem is that alot of schools do not update or change forms because this is the way this was taught to me and this is the way I must teach it to you. Forms must be updated and changed.
                    The most important thing is to understand what you are doing with each movement.

When I first started, I was skeptical about forms and now that I do them on a regular basis, i am a big fan of using forms.
                    couldnt have said it better!

Comment

Working...
                    X