Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uneducated Newcomers and Boxing Fanboys. Read this post first.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uneducated Newcomers and Boxing Fanboys. Read this post first.

I think I speak for 90% of the people from the Mixed Martial Arts Discussion board when I say, "get the **** out." You know who you are, and those of you that I am directing this to, have some dignity and get Mayweather's **** out from your throat.

With that said, the technical aspect. I am going to loosely define a few of the popular aspects of Boxing, Mixed Martial Arts and Kickboxing. I will also loosely define Mixed Martial Arts. I'll site where I am getting some of these quotes/definitions at the end of my post.

Boxing: a combat sport in which two participants, generally of similar weight, fight each other with their fists.

Muay Thai/Kickboxing: refers to the sport of using martial-arts-style kicks and boxing-style punches [Elbows: Thai Boxing] to defeat an opponent in a similar way to that of standard boxing.

Wrestling: is the act of physical engagement between two people in which each wrestler strives to get an advantage over, or control of, the opponent. Physical techniques which embody the style of wrestling are clinching, holding, locking, and leverage.

[Brazilian] Jiu Jitsu: is a martial art and combat sport that focuses on grappling and especially ground fighting with the goal of gaining a dominant position and using joint-locks and chokeholds to force an opponent to submit or be knocked out depending on what submission method is used.

Mixed Martial Arts: is a full contact combat sport that allows a wide variety of fighting techniques, from a mixture of martial arts traditions and non-traditions, to be used in competitions. The rules allow the use of striking and grappling techniques, both while standing and on the ground. Such competitions allow martial artist of different backgrounds to compete. The term may also be used however less correctly to describe hybrid martial arts styles.

[Note: Hmm the definitions get bigger with the more advanced the disciplines become, don't you think? Just a thought.]

Now that you have been further educated and understand some of the aspects of MMA, let's discuss some situations and find out just what makes Mixed Martial Arts fighter more dangerous in a general fight.

Value Tudo, No Rules. The inspiration of modern MMA in The United States. It's common sense that in a typical fight, there are no rules in the street/minimal rules against cheap fighting in the Cage. One of the things you should note is the history of open weight tournaments in Mixed Martial Arts. The realism of a fight that is created by Mixed Martial Arts allows someone significantly lower in weight to defeat an opponent, which results in it being much more closely associated with a street fight than a boxing bout. In layman's terms, Mixed Martial Arts is a more realistic fight than boxing.

Now for the hypothetical:

Professional Heavyweight Boxer vs Professional Heavyweight Mixed Martial Artist.
    Almost 100% of the time it is a short fight, not going anywhere past the first round, let alone a minute. The boxer throws some jabs, a big hook, which is ducked. The Mixed Martial Artist scores a take down, gets full mount, the boxer is completely defenseless. The Boxer is either KO'd or Submitted from this position.

Let's discuss the reasons why match ups like this almost always end this way.
    • The closest a boxer gets to practicing ground work is when they are working on their balance. This leaves them completely vulnerable to a take down
    • When taken down, a boxer who has been trained in only one aspect of fighting [Hand Striking], has no real way of defending from their back.
    • Boxers are fighting against an opponent with GRAVITY against them as well. Trying to keep yourself standing and fighting is much harder than dragging someone down and fighting.

Not to mention, a boxer gets beaten nearly every time against a striker who also utilizes other aspects of striking, like kicks and elbows. [Ex: Muay Thai, Karate, Capoeira, Kickboxing] But that is a different subject.

To wrap this post up, I'll just say one more thing. Boxing is one aspect of fighting. It is enhancing a person's hand striking with big gloves, there is no other aspect of a fight involved. To roughly quote Pat Miletich, "If you look at fighting as a tree, Mixed Martial Arts is the entire tree. Boxing is just a small branch of this tree."

I hope this post has helped to further educate some of you people who litter this forum with bull****.

Or, if you are too dense to fathom what I've just said. Here are a couple of videos that prove my point.

Entry Level Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Fighter demolishes Well Schooled Boxer.

Mediocre Wrestler TKO's a Well Schooled Boxer with ease.

Thank you for your time.

Siting:

http://www.wikipedia.org/
    http://www.youtube.com/

i think it's safe to say that a boxer will probably win in a boxing match and an mma fighter will win in an mma match.

you'll get trolls no matter what. i'm pretty sure sherdog has a bunch of idiots that tell boxing fans "any MMA fighter will knock out any professional boxer in a boxing match in less than 10 seconds!!"

but props for the thread because, as long as the posters are educated and mature, the whole mma vs. boxing topic can be a pretty good discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Cptn. Howdy View Post
      i think it's safe to say that a boxer will probably win in a boxing match and an mma fighter will win in an mma match.

you'll get trolls no matter what. i'm pretty sure sherdog has a bunch of idiots that tell boxing fans "any MMA fighter will knock out any professional boxer in a boxing match in less than 10 seconds!!"

but props for the thread because, as long as the posters are educated and mature, the whole mma vs. boxing topic can be a pretty good discussion.
      ding ding ding. The thread starter is just guilty at making stupid assumptions as the people hes supposedly here to educate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mech. View Post
        ding ding ding. The thread starter is just guilty at making stupid assumptions as the people hes supposedly here to educate.
        I'm guilty of making the assumption equivalent to "9/10 a well schooled boxer decapitates an MMA fighter in a street fight?"

You are one of the people I was talking to. Get off my nuts, my post is the truth. In a real FIGHT. The beginning of all of these sports is FIGHTING, and in a real FIGHT, an MMA Fighter destroys a Boxer.

Comment

You forgot Sambo, Catch and Judo.

Comment

what the **** was that black guy doing. when he was getting ground and pounded he let his right hand on the floor instead of using it to gaurd himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Move BRICKS View Post
              I'm guilty of making the assumption equivalent to "9/10 a well schooled boxer decapitates an MMA fighter in a street fight?"

You are one of the people I was talking to. Get off my nuts, my post is the truth. In a real FIGHT. The beginning of all of these sports is FIGHTING, and in a real FIGHT, an MMA Fighter destroys a Boxer.
              generally speaking, yes.

but are we taking into account that the 2 street fighters are aware of eachother's abilities? in a street fight, even a well trained MMA fighter won't just go for a takedown right away. this is especially true if there are friends around that may jump in. if you're on the ground and that happens then yer ****ed. that's one of the reasons why most street fights start off with the 2 exchanging blows before anything goes to the ground. so, if you've got an MMA fighter and a boxer not aware of eachother's abilities then there's now a higher chance of the boxer knockin out (or severely damaging) the MMA fighter before he has the opportunity to ground n' pound.

now if they know of eachother's abilities (for example, in a sanctioned fight), and it's NHB rules, then the MMA fighter is more likely to go for the takedown immediately and then the boxer's ****ed. but, then again, that just goes back to my first point which is that either athlete will most likely win when the rules are more fitting towards their fighting style.

Comment

Just a thought.. Why not go to a MMA forum. That's not a 'this is boxing scene **** off' comment. I'm just saying.. if i want to talk mma I go to mmaforum.com more threads, more people that know what they're talking about. The mma area here is one of the smallest on the entire board. 99% of the people here are boxing fans, it's like moving to Brazil and complaining that everyone loves soccer and knows nothing about gridiron.

Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by mgkirkpatrick View Post
                  Just a thought.. Why not go to a MMA forum. That's not a 'this is boxing scene **** off' comment. I'm just saying.. if i want to talk mma I go to mmaforum.com more threads, more people that know what they're talking about. The mma area here is one of the smallest on the entire board. 99% of the people here are boxing fans, it's like moving to Brazil and complaining that everyone loves soccer and knows nothing about gridiron.

Just saying.
                  for the same reason that i would rather discuss boxing on an MMA forum: no trolls. anytime a website's main topic is discussed then that forum is littered with trolls and dip****s. i see people complaining about NSB having the same problem.

the MMA forum on here has only about 10-15 regulars but all of them are mature and educated so we still have great discussions. the only trolls on here are the boxing fans. works out perfect IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Move BRICKS View Post

So we're talking about street fights now? **** off. We're talking about trained athletes competing by the rules of a sport. Of course an MMA guy is going to win in an MMA fight. NO ****. Its like saying a football player will get dominated in a soccer match. At their core theyre both just athletes , preparation is what makes all the difference. An MMA guy is just likely to lose in a boxing match against a well trained boxer , am I going to hold that against him? No, more than likely the MMA guy isnt as well prepared as the guy who does nothing but box.

Comment

Working...
                    X