Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats With The Myth Gamboa Has Been A World Beater?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atreyu Khalil View Post
    I like Gamboa a lot but he doesn't blow Broner out like many on this board indicates. Like I stated earlier Broner has more fights and have fought less rounds, has a higher ko percentage and more knockouts. Broner is better defensively IMO and he's the bigger fighter. Nobody every brings up broners positive attributes when comparing this fight.

This would be an explosive chess match.
    Broner doesnt use his legs, unless he gets hurt, which will come back to haunt him against Gamboa. People think he's athletic because he's nice with his hands, but overall Gamboa uses his whole body much better than Broner. Gamboa shows that he has better technical defense, moving his head, parrying shots, in and out movement, where as Broner is just too big for his opponents, and uses his gloves to cover his face. He uses the philly shell, but doesnt move around the ring or move his head as well as Gamboa.

Comment

Originally posted by Cazadores View Post
      When did I say that?

What I don't see is someone that blows away Broner. He's small and has a bad chin. We have only really seen him in against top come forward guys. Im not high on either Solis or Salido. At all.

I think Broner Stops him. Whenever anyone brings up the two all I ever here is how great gamoboa's resume is. I don't see it.
      Salido definitely loves to mix it up, but he's nowhere near a limited brawler. Solis & Ponce DeLeon weren't come forward guys. In fact, it's BECAUSE Ponce DeLeon wasn't a come forward guy that your boy Broner went life & death with him, and according to some on this site, even lost that fight.

You are tryna downplay strengths & weaknesses for the purpose of supporting your argument. I never said Broner was a tomato can, this is a dude that has world class potential and anybody who's watched him knows this. But a lot of what's been attributed to Broner HAS been smoke & mirrors. A lot of his supporters out here all of the sudden want to make him out to be this prolific boxer when talking about him facing Gamboa.

Comment

Gamboa would break Broner in two.

Comment

Would you agree that Broner has improved in 2 years since ponce de Leon fight?
          I'll agree that he's beaten much much smaller opponents than him. Until he gets in the ring with someone that isnt half his size, ill give him full ass credit.

Comment

Would you agree that Broner has improved in 2 years since ponce de Leon fight?
            The reason why I think Broner will run into trouble if he fights a legit opponent is, he's emulating Floyd's current style, when he should be emulating his LW style. That come forward and counter style will only work against scared bums. He does that against someone that can bang, and he's sniffin that canvas.

Comment

Nobody every brings up broners positive attributes when comparing this fight. This would be an explosive chess match.
              Ok, so let's do so. And I agree that Broner HAS improved since Ponce De Leon, but so has Gamboa since last being knocked down some fights ago, especially defensively. Let's look at the facts and not the smoke & mirrors, because my issue is that some Broner fans look at his "style" and then attribute things to him that he just doesn't have (yet).

Let's look at why I say as of RIGHT NOW, Gamboa is a much more complete package than Broner. What Gamboa & Broner ARE & ARE NOT;

DEFENSIVELY: Both of these guys are defensively flawed. Broner is nowhere near as wreckless as Gamboa, but he's nowhere near as elusive with his footwork & body on defense as Gamboa either. As stated by the poster above me, Gamboa at this stage in his career knows how to utilize his body much more effectively on defense than Broner does, Gamboa just doesnt know how to do this while mounting an offense.

SIZE: Self-explanatory. Broner has a clear cut advantage. Not only that, but Broner is just a physically stronger fighter even in comparison to some guys at 135.

POWER: Both fighters have proved to be very big punchers even on a p4p level and if they were to meet, power is not gonna be a deciding factor.

TIMING: Both fighters do it exceptionally well and why I consider Broner one of the more dangerous prospects.

SPEED: Self-explanatory. Gamboa has the advantage. I also want to add that Broner fanboys tend to overrate his hand speed like a muthaf**ka, Broner definitely isn't slow, but he's not the speed demon some of these cats r making him out to be.

FOOTWORK: Gamboa has some of the best footwork in boxing p4p, both defensively and offensively. This, in comparison, is also one of Broner's biggest weaknesses. You are not gonna utilize ur size advantage well if u are being outclassed by a guy with much better lateral movement.

CHIN: Gamboa has never been hurt, but is definitely more likely to touch the canvas than Broner is. Advantage for Broner.

INDIVIDUAL (MAJOR) WEAKNESSES: Gamboa's inability to incorporate defense into his offense. Gamboa's mental discipline & lapses when facing guys who are clearly inferior. Broner being extremely one-dimensional on offense once his right hand is neutralized, as well as fighting in spurts. Broner's movement.

RESUME/ OVERALL EXPERIENCE: Both guys have extensive amateur backgrounds, although Gamboa was at an olympic/international level. As far as professional experience is concerned, I don't think u can argue that Gamboa has the much better resume....not only that, but he's performed much better at a world class level than Broner. When Broner's competition steps up, then maybe we can have this talk again.

And as far as who's the most exciting to watch....I'll let you answer that lol....
              Last edited by MalikKnucklez; 07-20-2012, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MalikKnucklez View Post
                And as far as who's the most exciting to watch....I'll let you answer that lol....
                There isn't much I can add, Malik, that you and "Timbo" haven't already covered. So I'll just reply to your last line. Gamboa is one of the most electrifying fighters in the sport. Broner can be fun to watch, too. But Yuri is in rarified company when it comes to excitement.

Comment

Working...
                X