Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watched Quartey vs De La Hoya again last night.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post
    This is the most obnoxious phrase I've heard in boxing. This phrase literally is only supposed to mean that you have to beat the champ to take his title, IE if there is a draw, the champion retains his title. Any other interpretation of this phrase literally means giving the champion rounds he has lost, which is ******ed and would hurt the sport if all judges subscribed to it.

Quartey certainly won enough rounds to win this fight. Oscar sat there eating jabs for far too many rounds to win this fight on points.

Some people ***** about other De La Hoya decisions, such as Whitaker, which really could have gone either way, but this one was actually pretty clear in my opinion.
    Actually I thought Sweet Pea should have won that fight decisively. And whether you like the phrase or not, it does exist. I'm not a big fan of it either, but the fact of the matter is that certain fighters have won all close rounds before the fight even begins. Unfortunately that's the nature of this sport now days.

Comment

that was a close fight - oscar pulled it out in the 12th.

its what it is.

now the tito fight, that was robbery.

Comment

I'll have to watch the fight again and score it myself. But it's not like this sort of thing doesn't happen all the time. Being the more marketable and popular guy usually means you're going to have close rounds scored in your favor over the other guy. It's crap, but that's the nature of the sport.

Comment

I scored it for Ike....Oscar spent too much of the mid rounds doing nothing. Not that Ike was doing a lot either, but he was doing more than DLH.

The 6th and 12th rounds were exciting. As a whole though I think the fight has poor replay value. Too much posing and not enough punching. Not a chessmatch, make-a-mistake-and-the-other-guy-makes-you-pay sort of fight, but simply too much of both guys not doing much.

Comment

Oh and in regards to Whitaker & Trinidad, I had DLH drawing with Whitaker and DLH beating Trinidad narrowly.

The Quartey fight was rather easy to score IMO, the Whitaker fight was hell to score. Lots of close rounds.

Comment

Working...
            X