No announcement yet.

Heavyweights: 1970's vs 1990's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavyweights: 1970's vs 1990's

I thought this would be an interesting thread. There's a lot on arguments of whose better than who in the heavyweight rankings.

Here's some fantasy match-ups. Let me know the outcome of the fights, in your opinion.

Muhammad Ali vs Lennox Lewis
    Joe Frazier vs Mike Tyson
    Ken Norton vs Evander Holyfield

I like the guys from the 90s in all 3 fights. Good style matchups.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoppage View Post
      I thought this would be an interesting thread. There's a lot on arguments of whose better than who in the heavyweight rankings.

Here's some fantasy match-ups. Let me know the outcome of the fights, in your opinion.

Ali Vs. Lewis: Easy Ali decision.
      Frazier Vs. Tyson: Could go either way but no way it goes to the cards.
      Norton Vs. Holyfield: Holyfield by KO. Norton gave fits to slick boxers but fighters who attacked him head on destroyed him. Evander likes to brawl so.....

Poet

Comment

if Frank Bruno can out-jab Lewis, Rahman & McCall can poleaxe Lewis with a single shot then The Greatest Muhammad Ali has a `Field-Day` playing with Lewis before knocking him out around the 8th round, Ali having far to much of everything for Lewis as Lewis has fought no-one in his career who comes anywhere near a Muhammad Ali.. i see this fight being similar to Ali v Blin

Frazier was rough & tough as was Tyson, i see this being similar to Frazier v Quarry (1) with Frazier winning by KO7

Norton v Holyfield IMO goes very similar to Norton v Holmes with Holyfield winning FOTY SD15

Comment

I think Ali would be too quick but you could also make the case that Lewis is too big. Terrell was no Lewis but they had some similarities, Ali shut him out.

In Tyson vs Frazier I might give the slight advantage to the fast-starting Tyson but I don't think it's stylistically as bad a match-up for Frazier as Foreman was. Foreman roughed Frazier up, pushed him and kept him at range while an over-confident Frazier kept boring in. Tyson did not really like being smothered I don't think, and he wasn't the greatest infighter. He didn't attempt to push people around, he just clinched them. Frazier could push Tyson against the ropes which would be trouble for Tyson.

Norton vs Holyfield could go either way in my opinion. Norton was very strong, well-conditioned and had a devastating body attack. If Holyfield decides to brawl with him, he is not going to blast Norton out like Shavers and Foreman did because he is not on their level as a puncher. I think it would end up in a very close, disputed decision.
          Last edited by TheGreatA; 10-01-2009, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Norton hardly had a weak chin and was only blasted out by huge punchers in the likes of Shavers,Cooney and Foreman,even Luis Garcia despite his lanky frame was a very good puncher and was a very good fighter at his peak,I see Norton giving Holyfield fits but losing a close decision,it's wrong to assume that all Holyfield would do is pressure Norton because Holyfield was more than that.

Lewis and Ali had two great jabs between them and Lewis has been out jabbed by the likes of Mercer and Bruno(two underrated jabber) but Ali has also been out jabbed by Ken Norton(terrific jab himsef).Odd match up for me as I dont see a clear winner here.

Tyson blows Frazier out inside of four rounds,frazier can't deal with power let alone such an explosive power,Frazier didn't have good defense despite his fans claiming he had excellent head movement,if a rusty Ali was able to land combinations at will against Frazier then Tyson wouldn't need five rounds to finish him off,even tyson's worst critics would deny his power,speed and accuracy and even in the 1990's where he was a shadow of his former glories still held the power to terrify Frazier into possibly avoiding such a match up.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
              I like the guys from the 90s in all 3 fights. Good style matchups.
              I agree with this though Ali-Lewis would be a tough one to predict.

Comment

Ali over Lewis
                Tyson over Frazier (although this would be great and tough)
                Evander over Norton

great match ups

Comment

Ali-Lewis would be a very close fight, I might give the edge to Ali though, especially in a 15 rounder

Frazier-Tyson is close too, Tyson isn't as strong or powerful as Foreman, he might stun or drop Joe early, but I think Joe recovers, wears Mike down over the stretch and wins a UD or late TKO

Holyfield-Norton is how Poet described it. Holyfield has no reservations about brawling in this one, and he destroys Norton.

Comment

Lewis over Ali
                    Tyson over Frazier
                    Holyfield over Norton

It also depends on the time of the match ups. If we're talking 90s Tyson then I give the edge to Frazier. If we're talking 80s Tyson, then Tyson takes it. Late 90s Lewis beats Ali but early 90s Lewis loses to Ali.

Comment

Working...
                    X