Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garcia-Khan: Re-watched. Opinions please.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triple post sorry
    Last edited by Cleaver; 12-21-2012, 07:41 AM. Reason: Post failed on android app

Comment

It was blatantly obvious what Garcia was doing. After a round and a half he started to throw that left hook when Khan began to throw any combination. Khan's offense is extremely predictable and Garcia was simply working out the timing.

He fractionally missed with the very same left hook a few times and Khan didn't have the IQ to realise he was going to be timed sooner or later. He kept with the same combo's, Garcia got his timing down and knocked him into next week.

Comment

I was financially invested in a mid rounds Khan Ko/Tko , add that to HBO commentary and that punch was a kick to the ballsack. Watched a replay recently and there is little creedence in putting the result down to luck.

One thing going for Khan, he's been marking guys up well

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Cleaver View Post
          I was financially invested in an mid rounds Khan Ko/Tko , add that to HBO commentary and that punch seemed completely out of the blue.

Rewatched it without sound, looking at both fighters, completely different fight.

One thing going for Khan, he's been marking guys up well

You make a really good point about the marking up. I feel Khan's best chance of winning is not a points win because I just don't see him making it to the final bell without garcia landing heavy shots. I see Khan's best chance is a cuts stoppage.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Mongo
            Quote:

You make a really good point about the marking up. I feel Khan's best chance of winning is not a points win because I just don't see him making it to the final bell without garcia landing heavy shots. I see Khan's best chance is a cuts stoppage.
            I thought that was the likely outcome when watching it live. A cut that early was ominous, but credit to Garcia he had supreme composure. He'll eat some shots in the return, but he's sure to be more cautious in his approach. That's what makes it intriguing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
              Garcia was winning the 3rd rd imo before the KD...So I would say yes he was coming on..He had Khan's timing,and Khan does not know how to adjust..Something I hope Hunter is trying to show him..Garcia would block his first 3 punches and then punch with Khan..Very smart move and perfectly timed...
              Excellent post and I agree on timing. What a beautiful third round by Garcia. His defense was very strong and he spent much of the early part slipping under Khan's combinations and working the midsection. I knew Khan was ****ed midway through the round when he fired a combo and then took a slight step to his left, right in the range of whistling overhand right from Garcia that just missed. Moments later, it was over.

Watching the fight again, one thing that stands out is the fine work by Angel Garcia in the corner. Quality stuff. After the first, he tells Danny, "you see, he's not that fast, man! You can see his punches!" and he was right. Danny lost focus toward the end of the second (mainly because of the cut) and Angel wasn't having none of it. That was a well-thought out and well-executed gameplan.

Comment

For me it wasnt a lucky punch, that much is clear when you watch what Garcia was doing in hindsight...

However i think it is harsh to criticise the commentary for not commentating on counter shots that Garcia wasnt landing (or at least not landing well) when Khan was landing good shots.

I thought Khan in the first couple rounds looked about as good as ive seen him, he wasnt bouncing, his combinations were crisp and hurtful. But he was still so damn predictable! I find myself just willing him to throw a feint or something, anything other than step in, combination, step out.

I still really do feel that Garcia is waiting to be exposed. Hes world level no doubt, but what he did in this fight was about composure and power more than anything, it doesnt take a massive ring iq to do this to Khan imo.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  Excellent post and I agree on timing. What a beautiful third round by Garcia. His defense was very strong and he spent much of the early part slipping under Khan's combinations and working the midsection. I knew Khan was ****ed midway through the round when he fired a combo and then took a slight step to his left, right in the range of whistling overhand right from Garcia that just missed. Moments later, it was over.

Watching the fight again, one thing that stands out is the fine work by Angel Garcia in the corner. Quality stuff. After the first, he tells Danny, "you see, he's not that fast, man! You can see his punches!" and he was right. Danny lost focus toward the end of the second (mainly because of the cut) and Angel wasn't having none of it. That was a well-thought out and well-executed gameplan.

I'm with you on this one. It was definitely timing. Without the HBO nuthugging commentary you could see Danny throwing several left hooks and even before then, Danny landed a few good right hands too which they didn't even mention.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                    For me it wasnt a lucky punch, that much is clear when you watch what Garcia was doing in hindsight...

However i think it is harsh to criticise the commentary for not commentating on counter shots that Garcia wasnt landing (or at least not landing well) when Khan was landing good shots.

I thought Khan in the first couple rounds looked about as good as ive seen him, he wasnt bouncing, his combinations were crisp and hurtful. But he was still so damn predictable! I find myself just willing him to throw a feint or something, anything other than step in, combination, step out.

I still really do feel that Garcia is waiting to be exposed. Hes world level no doubt, but what he did in this fight was about composure and power more than anything, it doesnt take a massive ring iq to do this to Khan imo.
                    Great post by you guys...

Comment

garcia figured out khan already in the 2nd round, which isnt hard to do, and began timing him. khan might as well have said "hey my head is gonna be here after these next few punches, so have a go at it if you like" and that is exactly what happened. khans speed does nothing to help him when a smart fighter will know exactly where he will be after he punches, and thats what happened. its that simple. no lucky punch. it was a perfectly timed punch. as fast as khans hands are, the ability to time him will only take but a round or 2, obviously...

Comment

Working...
                      X